The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2010, 11:45 PM   #1
JimmyFloyd

How do I clean my gas tank?

So I just removed the gas tank from my Suburban, and want to use it on my blazer. There was some gas in there, which I poured out, and it looked bad. Still liquid, but bad. The tank itself is in good shape. No holes and really solid.

So how do I go about cleaning it out so that is it good to use?
Old 01-17-2010, 12:35 AM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: How do I clean my gas tank?

I'd take it to a radiator shop and have them do it.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:43 AM   #3
dlillis

I poured out the old gas from my tank in my c/10 and I found what appears to be surface rust throughout the inside of the tank. So I put 2 bottles of CLR in and I topped the tank off with water, and I let it soak a couple of days. When I went to rinse it out I was able to get probably 90-95% of the rust out and it looked like a new tank inside, which is better than 100% of the rust left behind. I will not be putting gas in my tank for a while so I did a quick rinse with alcohol to evaporate some of the remaining moisture and then I used an air blow gun through the fuel gauge sender opening and the filler neck to try and dry the rest. I also plugged off my fuel outlet on the sender and I sprayed Stabil brand Fogging oil for about 30 seconds inside the tank, and then I quickly replaced the fuel cap to contain the Fogging Oil and slow any corrosion.

Last edited by dlillis; 01-17-2010 at 12:56 AM.
dlillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
crakarjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlillis View Post
I poured out the old gas from my tank in my c/10 and I found what appears to be surface rust throughout the inside of the tank. So I put 2 bottles of CLR in and I topped the tank off with water, and I let it soak a couple of days. When I went to rinse it out I was able to get probably 90-95% of the rust out and it looked like a new tank inside, which is better than 100% of the rust left behind. I will not be putting gas in my tank for a while so I did a quick rinse with alcohol to evaporate some of the remaining moisture and then I used an air blow gun through the fuel gauge sender opening and the filler neck to try and dry the rest. I also plugged off my fuel outlet on the sender and I sprayed Stabil brand Fogging oil for about 30 seconds inside the tank, and then I quickly replaced the fuel cap to contain the Fogging Oil and slow any corrosion.
Are you worried about any of that stuff getting into your fuel system when you put it into service?
Old 01-17-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
BIG ORANGE

I got a poly tank in my project but wanting a new steel tank, been getting the run around w a vendor since before Thanksgiving on a new tank and I still dont have 1.
Got the straps/sender just want a steel tank!!!
Maybe I could fine a good used tank and do what you did to yr tank.
Who else sells the new steel tank alone???

Things happen for a reason!
BIG ORANGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #6
dlillis

Crakarjax, I don't see any issues with how I cleaned my tank because I rinsed it the best that i could, and then I dried out all of the water to the best of my knowledge. If you are refering to the Fogging oil, I don't see an issue with it either because it is kind of like Sta-bil in a gas form. The Fogging oil is made to be put into combustion chambers of engines that sit to eliminate in corrosion, but I figured since it is a gas that it will cover the whole inside of the tank as long as it is plugged off. Also what is left of the corrosion is very, very minimal and that is what a good fuel filter is for since I don't have the money right now for a new fuel tank.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:13 PM   #7
BIG ORANGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlillis View Post
Crakarjax, I don't see any issues with how I cleaned my tank because I rinsed it the best that i could, and then I dried out all of the water to the best of my knowledge. If you are refering to the Fogging oil, I don't see an issue with it either because it is kind of like Sta-bil in a gas form. The Fogging oil is made to be put into combustion chambers of engines that sit to eliminate in corrosion, but I figured since it is a gas that it will cover the whole inside of the tank as long as it is plugged off. Also what is left of the corrosion is very, very minimal and that is what a good fuel filter is for since I don't have the money right now for a new fuel tank.
Well said, but I got the money for a new fuel tank and knowone to buy one from! lol

Things happen for a reason!
BIG ORANGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:01 PM   #8
brothers69c-10
Suburban Hick

I used a pressure washer that could chip concrete to clean mine out with.
1969 Chevy C-10 396/500hp TH400 lowered 4"
1968 Imapla Custom 396/325hp TH400 "Grandmas Car"
1976 Crew Cab 4x4 diesel http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=488505
1978 Chevy K-10 454
1983 S10 4x4 "Bumblb" (Grandpa's truck)
1993 Chevy S10 V8 conversion
1990 Ford Probe Gt
1992 Dodge W-150 "Old Man's Truck"
1992 Pontiac Grand Prix SE
1992 Mercury Grand Marquis-Mercruiser
2000 Ford F150 (Currently my mother drives this)
1946 Farmall H with Stan Hoist loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Wheel Horse " Rat Tractor"
brothers69c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote