The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
aboyer
Adam B

Help!!!, 2 New Starters, Both Not Engaging??

I can't seem to figure out what is wrong. I recently had an issue with my stock starter on my '68 C-10, 350 engine. A couple of weeks ago, my starter decided not to engage into the flywheel. I assumed it was the starter solenoid and I purchased a replacement starter.

My replacement starter was a 3hp mini starter. When I installed it, it would not engage into the fly wheel. I thought I had a bad starter and returned this to the manufacture. I figured that I would go back to the OEM starter from Napa and this would solve the issue.

I have now installed the new Napa starter and it will not engage either. I adjusted the flywheel to insure that the gear could engage properly and I tested out the battery at Napa to insure it was good. The battery is 1 year old and they did a proper load test and it passed

I am out of ideas and hoping that someone can give me some additional things to look for. Please help!!!

Thanks,
Adam

Last edited by aboyer; 01-15-2010 at 06:56 PM.
aboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
big_al_71

Re: Help!!!, 2 New Starters, Both Not Engaging??

It seems to me that you have not shimmed the starter correctly...thats the first thought that came to my mind.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #3
aboyer
Adam B

The previous OEM starter was never shimmed before. Do you think I still need to shim it?

Any helpful hints on shimming the starter would be appreciated.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
big_al_71

the drive gear of the starter should mesh well with the ring gear but not so much as it binds. if your old starter had any shims it is usually a good idea to put them back. if your starter is binding in the ring gear put a shim in. if it is grinding and tearing up drive gears take a shim out

Agood rule of thumb, begin with a new starter, install. If the ring gear and the drive gear sound tight, add a shim and test. However, if grinding occurs and you notice you're tearing up your ring gear, you need to bring your starter closer, this is done by adding a 1/2 shim to the outboard bolt, good luck!

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
kwmech

153 or 168 tooth flywheel
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #6
Camaro_nut2001
Chevy Lover Till The End.

Check your grounds. Body to engine and battery grounded good to the motor. I ran into this once and it wound up being the battery to engine ground. Hope this helps.
Camaro_nut2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:58 PM   #7
Sammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
153 or 168 tooth flywheel
First make sure the starter provided is correct for the flywheel. If the starter does the whizzing sound with out engagement it could very well be the incorrect one.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:31 PM   #8
aboyer
Adam B

What is odd is that the old OEM starter never used shims before.

Before this issue, my truck broke down and I had a tow truck bring my truck back to the house. I had the choke disconnected and the truck won't start. I sorted this issue out and then the starter stopped working.

The old OEM starter never used shims, so I didn't us any on this starter when installing it. I am fairly sure I bought the correct starter as it matched the old one that I pulled out. I am not sure the tooth count, but think it is 153.

On both starters, the starter would engage out, but didn't want to try to crank the fly wheel.

Adam
Old 01-15-2010, 09:40 PM   #9
cdowns

have you tried turning the engine over by hand to get a different spot on the flywheel?
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:33 PM   #10
camaney

does the starter turns? or just clicks? if only clicks clean the terminals and the cables to the terminals
camaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:29 PM   #11
aboyer
Adam B

I have turned the flywheel on different positions, but with no luck.

The gear just pushes out and doesn't make any further noises. I hooked up my push button starter switch and have watch how it engages under the engine. It just pops out there and doesn't do anything additional.

I will clean the terminals to see if this has any luck. I have even charged the battery, as I thought it might be this, and this hasn't changed it either.

It is just wierd why I can't figure out what is going on here. And with the same thing happening for both starters has me stumbed.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:36 PM   #12
camaney

did you unscrew the cables at the battery terminals and clean it good? i had the same problem and thats how i got it fix
camaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:47 AM   #13
tim21391

did u cross the wires on starter?
2013 Mustang V6/6speed w/300 ponies
I may be 23, but i sure do knows 67-72s are sexy!
Its not MPG its smiles per gallon!
build started 11/25/08
build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=2993796
tim21391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:20 AM   #14
Kayotic

Hum!

Sounds like what you are saying is that everything seems normal up to the point of not spinning the engine.

Like as if the starter has no umph. Wonder if testing it by removing the plugs for reduced compression would make a difference.

Does the starter still make a noise if you hold the key after it engages the flywheel (like maybe a buzzing sound followed by getting extremely hot)?

Anything not seem right as you turned it by hand?
Old 01-16-2010, 10:26 AM   #15
bhoeger70

If the soleniod is moving the starter drive out but the starter is not spinning check your electrical connections.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #16
chipflyer

Quote:
If the soleniod is moving the starter drive out but the starter is not spinning check your electrical connections.
I agree, start with your ground cable, make sure where it grounds to the block it is clean and secure. You said you charged the battery and had it tested at NAPA but did they load test it? Pretty common for a sick battery to show over 12 Volts and drop to almost nothing when you try to start it.

1971 Cheyenne Super K10 - tilt, cruise, air, am/fm, tow hooks, factory buckets!
1986 Jeep J10 pickup, - 5.3L Vortec with 4L60e and NP241.

Last edited by chipflyer; 01-16-2010 at 10:37 AM.
chipflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:42 PM   #17
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

you were working on the choke trying to get it to start, did this involve a bunch of cranking? then the thing stopped cranking right?
I would do a voltage drop test on both cables and all connections. I suspect one or both were marginal before but you may have killed them with extended cranking.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:10 PM   #18
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Everyone has some questions of merit here. Let's try to put those questions together.
1. Does the starter turn over when you hit the ignition switch? If not, then look at the battery and wiring for your answer.

2. IF NOT, does it turn over if you jump from the hot post on the solenoid to the smaller wire connection (On the solenoind itself)? That would be the solenoind magnet contact. Are you on the right mounting post? Once again--if it turns over, then you have an electrical connection problem. If it does NOT turn over or engage, then you have a starter problem.

3. To ensure that the starter is engageing properly, I pull the lower dust cover between the engine and the tranny, so that I can see the drive gear and the flexplate. I then move the drive gear into the flexplate for measurement of the gap. You want a gap equivalent of a LARGE paperclip wire between the drive gear tooth and valley of the flexplate gear. I take the solenoid off of the starter and manually engage the starter to do this, however there are othere ways to do it.

4. YES, you should check EVERY starter for engagement gap--there is differences in all starter housings---it is NOT nuclear quality stuff, here. The shims are ususally sent with a starter for that reason.

5. Back to the 153 tooth and 168 tooth flexplates---one requires an offset bolt pattern and the other uses a straight across pattern on the starter mounting holes. Many GM blocks have both holes available, so it would be easy to mess this up. You can count the teeth by marking the plate and rotating it slowly. The offset mounting profile is for the larger number of teeth plate.

6. It is truly possible that your battery cables will need updating if they are not making good contact. The heavier duty the better. You do not want any loss of voltage here, ity is hard on the starter.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:40 PM   #19
rsavage

One other possibility. Do you have an auto or manual trans? If manual, does your starter bolt to the bell housing with 3 bolts rather than the block? If you had some difficulty bolting the new starters up to the bell housing (if it is that type) check to make sure it is not cocked slightly. Many of the rebuilt starters for have new cast noses installed on them and they are thicker than the original noses were. Consequently, the starter hits the inside slope of the cast iron bell housing, and if not noticed, the starter won't be in straight and will not mesh with ring gear correctly.
2021 Durango RT 5.7

Last edited by rsavage; 01-16-2010 at 04:41 PM.
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:20 AM   #20
aboyer
Adam B

I will be trying out some ideas tomorrow.

Just to answer some of the outstanding questions.

1. My cables are in fairly good condition and heavy gauge, but will check these over. The ground to the battery is located on the exhaust manifold.

2. The solenoid pushes out the gear drive, but doesn't rotate the flywheel. It basically shoots out of the starter and doesn't do anything additional, no whinning or attempt to crank. I did have the battery load tested at Napa and they used two different testers (passed both). I initially thought it would be a weak battery, as it seems it doesn't want to crank, but it tested out.

3. I currently don't have the starter shimmed, but I will look this area over again.

4. The terminals are clean, but I will wire brush these. I also have ground straps at:
--Engine block to firewall
--Cab to frame
--Radiator mount to frame
--Passenger wheel well to frame

Basically, I will take everyone's input and double check everything
--Shims
--Cables
--Connections

I will let you know how the testing goes tomorrow. Thanks for the input, keep it coming!!
Old 01-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #21
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Suggestion: Move the ground strap from the exhaust manifold to a point at the front of the engine block. The manifold is prone to rust and could provide for problems some day. If the starter is engaging, but not turning, then you do have current path from your battery, however the power is not getting to the starter motor contact. you may have a bad solenoid on your new starter.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:22 PM   #22
Wrenchbender Ret

I would pull the starter back off & bench test it. Hook some jumper cables to a battery. Ground the neg to the starter. Touch the pos. to the terms. that come out of the starter & hook to the selinoid. The motor should spin. Then hook it to the bat cable post on the selinoid. Jump from the bat post to the small term marked S. The drive should come forward & the starter should spin. I'm wondering if the connection from the starter to the seliniod is not good.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:07 PM   #23
aboyer
Adam B

Well, the problem was solved...

From what I can tell, it was the shimming of the starter. I cleaned all the battery terminals and contacts to insure everything had a good contact. I then backed down the starter, away from the flywheel and basically bench tested the starter.

From there, I found out that the start is working correctly. I then placed both shims on the bolt locations and looked at how it messed together with the flywheel. Everything looked correct, tested out fine, fired up engine... Problem Solved.

Thanks for everyone's help on this. This is the beauty of forums, it is like having 1000's of car/truck nuts to bounce ideas and problems off of. Thanks again!

Adam