The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
green724x4

Sleeper exhaust

I have been looking at chaning my mufflers currently have dynomax turbo mufflers, they are loud glasspack like at wot. HowAlmost sounds like shotgun blasts. I was thinking flowmaster 70 series "supposedly the quetest ones flows they making". or maybe some borla turbo xl.
I might say screw it and get xr-1 borlas with h pipe which will sound bad a$$.
Borlas are not any more expensive than flowmasters 70s.
anyone running these or somthing quiet but still duals.
Is a crossover tube make a huge diffrence.
Have a 427 ci big block running a small weiand blower
thanks john.

Last edited by green724x4; 01-16-2010 at 04:13 PM.
green724x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:23 AM   #2
s_nova69

Re: Sleeper exhaust

John, I built a 3" full stainless exhaust for my k20 that has a 500hp 406 w full length headers. I put on Flowmaster 60's and it still popped like crazy even when u were not on it much. I installed an H pipe and the sound came way down and was probably 60% quiter overall. I eventually changed to 2.5" tail pipes and the sound that comes out now is very awesome. I talked w my local Flow rep at a show and he wanted to see the system to give advice. He mentioned that stainless in rather pingy/poppy in general and some of my bend/joints were probably the problem. So I changed a couple bends and added the 2.5" tail pipes and it worked great. Dont know if you have stainless. But probably not. The H pipe does always work wonders for sound and pops. Hope that helps.
4wd '72 Suburban LT4 coming soon!!
s_nova69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:34 AM   #3
bigsnookmaster

I run Dynomax Super Turbos with a 3" mandrel bent exhaust system with an x-pipe and they are amazingly quiet. This is also a 406 with mechanical roller cam, approx 560-570 hp. I like the quiet sound, and they seem to make awsome power. I have no popping or crackling at all. My .02
bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:44 AM   #4
Kayotic

In my opinion, Magnaflow....

I will be seeking this option when it comes time.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:46 AM   #5
combustion

i have 2 magnaflow glasspack mufflers inline. it sounds almost stock with very very nice note to my big block. i it almost sounds like a low revving version of an European v8, no joke!.its a stock gen 5 454 with an eddie carb and manifold. its 3 inch exhaust pipe all the way back. its a real sleeper. i have heard my truck open manifolds before and its just toooo damn loud,even with the stock top end; so i know its working extremely well. at idle, you can hear the exhaust pulse quietly "bounce" inside the pipes making it sound really sexy . i got hooker headers, its a "y" style junction from 2 3" inch pipes to one. i ran the . equal length sections from each header before the junction (the junction being inches back from the transmission pan). one muffler is about halfway back, the other one is right before the rear axle, from the second muffler is just straight out the back. super deep tone too.
i am pretty amazed of how sounds. i was expecting the sound of am old choked out Packard with no real pattern to the sound, but instead i got a super sexy sounding big block. haha this combination was a winner. i went 3 inch back when i was going to do top end work to get more power, i ended up not going that route anymore, but the exhaust stayed.

cliffs,
QUIET well tuned note
(kinda like a low reeving European v8 with a real deep "grunt" thanks to the glass pack style muffler)
3 inch header back
2 to 1 style
2, 3 inch mufflers in series
If it`s 3.73 ratio you will spint the wheel 100 times to the driveshaft`s 373 times.Or,if you`re lazy,you could just spin the wheel once and the driveshaft will spin 3.73 times.Or, 3 and 3/4 turns.And if you`re real lazy,I can sell you a tab for whatever ratio you want.
Or,you could read all the suggestions and try those.It`s been well explained,I think,already.

Last edited by combustion; 01-17-2010 at 05:54 AM.
combustion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:12 AM   #6
Sinister
Between Trucks...

I have Summit Turbo's. Nice mellow rumble. I should get some video of them they sound really good.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:39 AM   #7
dznucks

I used Edelborck SDT mufflers and an Magnaflow X-pipe. It has a very different sound, smooth and quiet. Kind of has that distinctive sound that a mustang has but crossed with the quiet and powerfull sound of a corvette.

FYI....Full Line Exhaust is selling Magnaflow x-pipes ($90 at summit) for $17. i am not sure why the price is so low but you will have to call to order them. thier part number is XP-4 for a 2.5" X-pipe.

http://www.fle-online.com/Brands/Jones.asp
dznucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:01 PM   #8
green724x4

Thanks Dznucks
I have dynomax super turbos and they sound just like glass packs with 2.5 pipe.
I don't have a crossover tube.
I think I am going to try some xr1 borla mufflers with a set of glass packs for resonators with an h pipe.
green724x4 is offline   Reply With Quote