The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
Knothead

Window tint

I've done several flat windows,but the large rear glass on the '56 looks like it may be a challenge with the curves. Any advice ,pointers or input will be appreciated.
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
Knothead

Re: Window tint

Has anyone had theirs done professionally with any success? With or without seams?
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:11 PM   #3
blackdiesel

Yes, Had grandpas done (by pro) no seams. the glass was out of the truck, looks good. Dad and I did his (out of the truck also) we used the static cling tint, it went on easy, but don't look as good as the other kind. With the glass out lay it on saw horses (in side down) cut the tint, lay it on the outside of the glass and heat it with a heatgun. It will form to the glass. When you get it to shape, turn glass over and aply as directed. Sounds easy, BUT...
'57 2wd change
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=speedway

Last edited by blackdiesel; 01-19-2010 at 11:12 PM.
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:30 AM   #4
MrTucker

I've done a couple with a minor compound curve and they are tough but not impossible. It's 100x easier with the glass out of the truck, but with your truck it shouldn't be too bad if the glass is installed.

The concept is simple - just as blackdiesel described. Get a real heat gun, not a hair dryer. Thoroughly clean the glass, then use a razor to scrape it clean, then clean it again. This is very important or you'll see all kinds of dust and crumbs. Then spray the glass with soapy water so you can, position the tint, trim it with a very sharp razor, squeegy out the soapy water and your done. If your window has compound curves you'll get some wrinkles - use the heat gun on these wrinkles to shrink the tint film to fit the curve. GO SLOW ON THIS so you dont melt the tint - thats easy to do.

Be prepared to mess it up if you have compound curves - it took my 3 tries the first time I did it. But I dont think 55'-59's have compound curves...
MrTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:17 PM   #5
blackdiesel

The big back glass is compound for sure. I talked to a guy at a show with a 57 that said he had his done with the glass in the truck. The first shop I took my glass to (out of the truck) called the next day and said to come and get it, we can't do it. They tried 3 times. We used the static cling tint on dads, like I said was easier. but when you look out of it at an angle it looks funny some how (if that make sense) the static tint is heaver. Took grandpa's to a different shop and they got it done. The funny thing was we scratched the tint putting it in the truck, they didn't like seeing it the next day at all.
'57 2wd change
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=speedway

Last edited by blackdiesel; 01-20-2010 at 02:29 PM.
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote