The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2010, 03:20 AM   #1
tommyramone55

need some help. think i killed my clutch....

Hey yall, I traded my old blue k30 for a diesel k20 hd. Big mistake on my part, but nvm that. I just wanted to ask a few quick questions.

Where is the fuel pump located on my 1986 k20 hd diesel?
How hard is it to do a full body swap?
And a quick story to sum up this question, when i got the truck the guy said if I needed to move it before i got time to change out the fuel pump. Well just get a little speed and dump the clutch, now whether i have it in gear or not I get no resistance. And it just makes a loud almost humming noise as if its stuck in a low gear? Its a brand new clutch too, any ideas? And also, since im about 98% sure its gone. What parts would i need to fix it? And could i use the clutch from a 1977 k20 350 gas?

Thanks for everything.
tommyramone55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
ToughBowtieTruck

Re: need some help. think i killed my clutch....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyramone55 View Post
Hey yall, I traded my old blue k30 for a diesel k20 hd. Big mistake on my part, but nvm that. I just wanted to ask a few quick questions.

Where is the fuel pump located on my 1986 k20 hd diesel?
How hard is it to do a full body swap?
And a quick story to sum up this question, when i got the truck the guy said if I needed to move it before i got time to change out the fuel pump. Well just get a little speed and dump the clutch, now whether i have it in gear or not I get no resistance. And it just makes a loud almost humming noise as if its stuck in a low gear? Its a brand new clutch too, any ideas? And also, since im about 98% sure its gone. What parts would i need to fix it? And could i use the clutch from a 1977 k20 350 gas?

Thanks for everything.
There are actually 2 fuel pumps on the 6.2 diesel. The first one, called the transfer pump, is originally an mechanically-driven fuel pump like the 350 gas engines had. That is on the side of the block. The other, the injection pump, of course sits in front of the intake.

As for the clutch, depends. Could be a throw-out bearing, pressure plate, clutch disc, or even in the hydraulics. 86 has a hydraulic clutch on it, you could be lucky with just a hydraulic pressure issue, if it is not disengaging. Check the truck for a bad line, or signs of leaking from the master or slave cylinders of the clutch system. The slave cylinder sits on the outside of the bell housing, so it is easy to inspect.

"Mr. Simpson, there are thousands of people like you with no discernible talent." Duff World Records Division

"Yeah, they're called Congress!!" -Homer Simpson
ToughBowtieTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:50 AM   #3
tommyramone55

Well thank you, that was very very helpful. And i know the pressure plate was just replaced maybe two weeks ago, but I guess letting the truck roll and just letting off the clutch isn't too good for it either. Hmmm well thank you for all of your help, hopefully I can just replace the one fuel pump and get it started. Not putting me in the best mood since I have no time, no money, and it needs to get off my gfs property.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
tommyramone55

can you help me out on where the fuel pump by the "intake" is?

Is it closer to the firewall, or is it up underneath the motor more or less?
Thanks
Old 01-22-2010, 06:45 PM   #5
tommyramone55

http://www.theautopartsshop.com/Sear...immy%2FAF41618

it looks like these kinda. Is it really close to the firewall or cab of the truck....
kinda like where the yellow line on this one is?
Old 01-22-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
tommyramone55

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3D20%26um%3D1
Old 01-22-2010, 10:18 PM   #7
spinem
haha, ford guys...

get it running, SELL IT!
spinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:17 PM   #8
tommyramone55

not really the advice i was hoping to get.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:08 AM   #9
ToughBowtieTruck

The mechanical transfer pump should be toward the front of the engine., on the passenger side if I remember, down near the oil pan. Looks like a mechanical pump for a gas engine.

The one on the intake, well, if you mess with that without having experience on a diesel, you are in for a project. That injection pump is the big thing in front of the intake, with the 8 steel lines coming out going to the injectors. It controls the engine timing, and pulling it off takes some time and careful skill not to screw the timing up.

"Mr. Simpson, there are thousands of people like you with no discernible talent." Duff World Records Division

"Yeah, they're called Congress!!" -Homer Simpson
ToughBowtieTruck is offline   Reply With Quote