The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2010, 08:24 PM   #1
LT1

73-87 cab question

Is there any difference in the cabs from 73-87? For example, could I use a 74 cab with a 84 front clip?
LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:03 PM   #2
f.monroe

Re: 73-87 cab question

Basic cab swaps are 73-80 and 81-87. They changed the cowl area and hood hinge locationin 81 . The fender mounting points are a little different width also but it is very minimal . If you are looking to swap cabs , I would try to stay in the year ranges listed . You can swap the later front clip on the older cab but it will take a little fab work .
Frank
Old 01-22-2010, 10:07 PM   #3
chrismoore701

stay with the 70's front clip, better body lines
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:45 PM   #4
f.monroe

Forgot to mention the seat belt thing also .Seat belt mounts changed in 78 . 77 has its own weird style of belt . early 70's did not always have shoulder belts . Minor things but worth mentioning .
Frank
Old 01-22-2010, 11:03 PM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

the mod that f monroe mentions that is the hardest is the hood hinge... its easy going the other way a newer cab with an older chassis. You have to use the body mounts that correspond to the chassis too

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:33 AM   #6
pcwillsie

ok old rusty let me get this right. I have a 73 truck with a rusted out cab. I have an 87 cab I can get for $100 that is in great shape (actually already made the deal). I want to stay with the 73 front clip. what problems am i going to run into if any?
pcwillsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:18 AM   #7
ToughBowtieTruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcwillsie View Post
ok old rusty let me get this right. I have a 73 truck with a rusted out cab. I have an 87 cab I can get for $100 that is in great shape (actually already made the deal). I want to stay with the 73 front clip. what problems am i going to run into if any?
Done 5 of the swaps myself.

The issues you will have are:

87 cab dash is a little different for originality; i.e.

1. wiper switch is on the column not on the dash . . . easy fix to install one.

2. Wiper rods must be switched. 87 cab has longer wiper rods because the cowl stays on the cab, on the 73-80, the cowl is part of the hood. Muse use the 70s wipers which require some drilling as the mounts are slightly different.

3. Top fender mounts do NOT line up correctly. Because of the cab difference, there is about 3/4" difference in the top fender mounts. You can cut the hole open on the fenders to get the bolts to line up properly.

4. 87 is metric era. Some interior items are metric, as are some exterior cab items like brake booster and all that. The stuff interchanges, but beware-any studs on the 87 cab require the metric nuts that were on the cab.

5. 4 wheel drive tunnel pans for 81-87 are NOT bolt-on. 4x4 and manual transmission cabs had a different pre-stamped tunnel than 2wds. You will have to cut the cab and install the 70's tunnel if you have either a stick shift or 4 wheel drive and are using a 2wd 80s cab. It will NOT clear a 4x4 or stick shift without cutting the tunnel out.

6. From '79-up, you have the VIN on the front near the windshield. If swapping cabs you need a title and merge the titles to an assembled vehicle to complete the swap the legal way. However, 73-78 dash pads and all 73-78 instrumentation, heating, and wiring harnesses fit in the 80s cab.

7. Seat belts do not interchange between the years easily. 73-76 all had lap belts, if any, 1977 was the first year for a different wiring harness, door panels, and yes-shoulder belts. GM installed the shoulder tumbler half way up the cab, and the other on the floor. Quickly changed in '78 with both tumblers on the floor.

8. 79-81 also saw a swap in the fuse boxes during some time, from the glass fuses to the blade fuses. However, both the engine side and front clip side interchange with both fuse boxes without modification. However, if you have an 87 cab, it might have a fuel injection harness, which is another ball game.

Those are the main issues when switching cabs around. And yes, body/cab mounts must be ordered to match the truck.

"Mr. Simpson, there are thousands of people like you with no discernible talent." Duff World Records Division

"Yeah, they're called Congress!!" -Homer Simpson

Last edited by ToughBowtieTruck; 01-24-2010 at 02:23 AM.
ToughBowtieTruck is offline   Reply With Quote