The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2010, 09:05 PM   #1
Zachary Watts

HELP, can't get turn signals to work

Hi everyone, I have a 78 chevy that was a 3 speed stick shift on the column and I converted it over to an automactic. I put a non cruise auto tilt column in that came out of a 79 and now I can not get the turn signals to work. I think the turn signal switch may be different form 78 to 79 but I am not sure. Any one know or have any ideas why it's not working? I am a idiot when it comes to wiring. So I need help. Thanks

Last edited by Zachary Watts; 01-23-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Zachary Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:50 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: HELP, can't get turn signals to work

as long as the columns were the same no cruise no wipers one would think they would interchange. It is possible that either there is a bad ground or the switch in the new column is bad. In any event the switch out of the 78 should fit right into the 79 column so maybe you should try swapping it out..

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:07 AM   #3
Zachary Watts

old Rusty c10 I was thinking of changeing out the turn signal switch in the morning. It may have a possible short out in the wiring. Because I keep the positive cable unhooked from the battery and I noticed when I go to hook up the battery cable it makes a spark when the turn signal switch is connected under the dash. But if I unhook the turn signal switch it does not make a spark when I go to hook up the positive battery cable to the battery. So that would mean it's either shorted out or the turn signal switch wiring is different? Thus meaning it's hooked up wrong. Causeing the short?
Old 01-24-2010, 12:21 AM   #4
Big Port Jimmy 6
Addicted to Rust

Wiring on the switches was the same forever. Check the connectors in the truck side of the plug, they will back out a bit and not work. Jay
87 GMC CCSB 5.3 4l60E Daily Driver

ECTA National record holder XO/PP

We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public.
Big Port Jimmy 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
Zachary Watts

No luck the switch in the Oringnal 78 column was broken. but I am sure that the switch wiring is different because In my classicindustries catalog they sell a replacement switch that is suppost to fit 1977-83 models but note that a Adapter harness is required to fit 77-78 models. Thus meaning the turn signal switch wiring is different. What I need to now is to know how to rewire the 79 switch to make it work in the 78. Should be a matter of swapping around the pins on the connector. I don't care if the damn thing color coded or not. I just want it to work does any one have a diagrame or could tell me how to rewire it. thanks zack

Last edited by Zachary Watts; 01-24-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #6
fixit-p

If the plugs fit together check that the wire colors match up on both plugs, here is a diagram for 77-80. Taken from http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/sm...?topic=11766.0
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally posted by:Abraham Lincoln "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine."
fixit-p is offline   Reply With Quote