The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2010, 02:55 AM   #1
Ipaintgrt

What Rack and Pinion adapts to a 71 Camaro subrame?

I'm thinking of putting a rack and pinion on my 71 camaro subframe that is on my 56. I remember seeing a musclecar episode w/Lou where he put one on. I have seen many rack and pinions and I was wanting to use a corvette r & p but I know there are different lengths and sizes. I'm wondering if anyone has done this and what kind of mods did you have to do. Anyone have any experience with this? thanks S

Last edited by Ipaintgrt; 01-23-2010 at 03:04 AM.
Ipaintgrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:22 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: What Rack and Pinion adapts to a 71 Camaro subrame?

There may be one but you might want to read this. http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec...all/index.html

I also found this on a Z28 board. http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78970 That thread is about three years old and it is the latest thing on the subject on Google that I can find. The only conversions that I found reference to would be pretty much drag race only with somewhat light weight racks that I wouldn't want on a street driven truck.

You can do variations of the search that I did, Second generation Camaro/Firebird Rack and Pinion steering and may find some more results that I didn't find. From what I read on that Z thread the general thinking was that going to a rack caused more issues than it fixed.

Personally I think a quick ratio box for a late 70's Trans Am would be the way I would go if my original box was shot. Sometimes the "look what I got" factor isn't as viable as what really works that was designed for the application.

Last edited by mr48chev; 01-23-2010 at 11:55 AM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
hotrodsbyray

I remember that segment where Lou put a rack on a subframe. He is on the suspension part of this website now with a build so you might could look him up there and ask how he did it.
hotrodsbyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
jmedero

His tag name is lucking fou. I also dud the same research on my 72 nova when I built it. The best option for me a the time was a mustang ii rp and just shorten the ends of it. It was a fairly easy install and not very expensive. Like $400 total. Unisteer makes a bolt on kit for $1200!!!!!!! Depends on how you want to roll. Lol
Old 01-24-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
Ipaintgrt

Thanks for the responses, I did PM him at the same time I posted this thread, but I think he's been busy, or doesn't have time to respond. Since everyone on this site has figured out who he is, he's probably been inundated with PM's for everything you can think of. I like the idea of a R and P ecause of the inexpensive cost,the great performance, and the clean look. Not sure about the wheel scrub as mentioned in the popular hotrodding article. Thats why I posted this thread to see if anyone has done this. It was a how too on Muscle car TV that Lou did, they use them on many new vehicles now days and on many hot rods so I would think they would work good on our trucks, and a nice addition to an updated IFS.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:21 PM   #6
mr48chev

I'd be hunting on all the second generation Camaro, Z-28 and Firebird boards I could find and see what the guys on those have to say. I don't think I would tell them it was under a truck though.

From what I could find most of those cars that had racks put on them were drag only cars where as long as it goes straight and has light weight things are great. Good for running a race car down the street but not good for a guy with a 3500 lb truck that is going to be street driven.

That new complete subframe assembly with the rack is pretty interesting but not what a guy wants to spend his bucks on to subframe a truck.

What I don't like to see is someone throwing something together just because they think it would be cool without fully checking out the whys and wherefores of the whole deal. That the Camaro boys haven't come up with an simple and easy way to do it probably means that it isn't going to be simple or easy.

About the closest thing I can find is this http://www.steeroids.com/html/chevelle.html From reading on other boards that runs around 1k for the setup. You would still have to modify the bracket for the Camaro stub.

Last edited by mr48chev; 01-24-2010 at 06:40 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:58 AM   #7
Ipaintgrt

Here is a kit that I found from Flaming River.

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.cf...rod/prd372.htm

I have been looking for info on the camaro sites and there mostly seems to be negative feedback from people who havent done it but this there is excessive bump steer, or heavy fabrication skills needed, or the rack isn't strong enough to handle pot holes or deflection. I dont know if I'm going to do this but I'm just gathering information and will make an educated decision from what I find out. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:16 AM   #8
Kim57

Unisteer lists a R&P for the second gen Camaros.
Kim
http://www.unisteer.com/mm5/merchant...VEHICLE+SEARCH
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote