The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
doublearrow

radiator

I've got a small leak in the radiator on my 87 and it's fairly rusty inside so I bought a new radiator. I bought the ready radiator 433716 from advanced auto here in town and it's description says this "With standard cooling, heavy-duty cooling, air conditioning". My question is it's around 3/8" to a 1/2" thinner than the existing radiator am I going to run into any problems? Such as not cooling well enough or fit? Also with it being rusty do I need to do some kind of flush before putting in the new radiator.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by doublearrow; 01-24-2010 at 10:16 PM.
doublearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:24 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: radiator

I would flush the cooling system out good with the prestone flush kit before installing the new radiator. Over the summer i had a similar problem with my 82. My buddy did the swap and if i remember correct he had an issue with the rubbers on the top and bottom of the radiator. He swapped in some different brackets and it fits like a glove now

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:33 PM   #3
doublearrow

Thanks i'll do that
Old 01-24-2010, 11:45 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

ill give him a yell and see if he can tell me exactly what he did he was borrowing my truck last summer so he was responsible for all repairs

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!

Last edited by old Rusty C10; 01-25-2010 at 12:11 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:59 PM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

my buddy says the prestone flush is kinda like an acid and you wanna remove the thermostat and flush it that way , with the heater on once youre done with the flush clean the thing out with fresh water. then use the right coolant which has a silicone base to prevent rusting in the radiator. He did have to change the brackets cause the new radiator is also shorter ,at least the aftermarket one he bought was.he states since they started importing the radiators and make them from different materials the coooling sizes differ and the ports inside may be slightly larger to commpensate for the different size. Double check that the radiator number is the correct one for your truck.
He bought mine from a radiator shop and we have no firsthand knowledge of the ones at advanced. The regular auto parts store he uses ( mom and pop kinda place) had problems locating the correct radiator so he had to go to a regular radiator shop.

I hate cancer!!
Old 01-25-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
Mr.Scary
Project Optimus Prime

Ya know the same thing happened to me to about 2-3 months ago. My original ras took a dump so off i went to the nearest o'reilly's to buy a new one and as soon as I seen it i could tell that it was shorter than the original and i asked the guy to double check to make sure it was the right one and he said it was so i went ahead and put it in and with a few mods to get to sit right ive had no cooling problems yet. in fact while i was at changing the rad. i changed my old fan clutch to electric style fan and I noticed that helped as well so idk give it a try i guess i think it should cooljust as good.

"I said it b4 and i'll say it agian wiring is my worst enemy":devil:
Mr.Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:54 PM   #7
doublearrow

Thanks for the help guys. went and got a flush chemical today hopefully get it all done this weekend.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:55 PM   #8
jrp267

I got an aluminum 4 core for under 200 on the web from a site recomendded on here somewhere. Works great and shipped quick.
jrp267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:36 PM   #9
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp267 View Post
I got an aluminum 4 core for under 200 on the web from a site recomendded on here somewhere. Works great and shipped quick.
do you remember the site name?

I hate cancer!!
Old 01-26-2010, 01:06 PM   #10
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

May have been this place Bob;

http://www.radiatorbarn.com/

They are the cheapest I've found with good quality factory fit replacements and ship QUICK !
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:31 PM   #11
jrp267

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...%26+Drivetrain this is the one I bought it is not as pictured but a true aluminum rad with alum end tanks. Fit decent a little short but I think its because the rubber bushing are wore out. I see the price has gone up a little since last summer I payed 189.00
jrp267 is offline   Reply With Quote