The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2010, 02:59 AM   #51
Gibson

Re: new daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73 View Post
Like I said earlier, I wouldn't sell the truck...just park it for a while, until you figure things out. Get rid of the stang, get a "boring" econo box. You come across a little pissy in your replies...gotta grow up and make the right decision for your two person family. Sucks to hear about what is going on, but you need to keep your head up, and plow ahead and take care of your son and yourself. Be strong.
Yeah I second that - I'd hang onto the truck. Just park and cover it. I have a '99 Corolla with 210K on it that STILL gets over 35mpg hwy. Only thing it has ever been in the shop for was a tie rod end and starter points. Both after the 150k mark.

Yeah it may not be pretty, and it may be imported, but a lack of pride can save a heap of dough at the gas pump.
Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:23 AM   #52
menace121978

My families prayer's are with you and your boy...

On a positive note. My pops raised me since 1 month old. Sacrificed more than i can ever imagine and the Best Man I've ever known. I have old pics sitting in a car seat in an old '63 long bed, then a dumpy datsun B210, and finally Silver. i know times are different now but you can do this... you have too. your son will be forever grateful.

and who knows maybe he'll build a square and dedicate it to you too!

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #53
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

I hate to see you sell the truck, they're harder to come by and yours is as nice as any I've seen. I'd like to see you be able to keep it but with three kids of my own I do understand if you get in a spot where it's gotta go.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #54
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by menace121978 View Post
My families prayer's are with you and your boy...

On a positive note. My pops raised me since 1 month old. Sacrificed more than i can ever imagine and the Best Man I've ever known. I have old pics sitting in a car seat in an old '63 long bed, then a dumpy datsun B210, and finally Silver. i know times are different now but you can do this... you have too. your son will be forever grateful.

and who knows maybe he'll build a square and dedicate it to you too!
They could rebuild the current square if he keeps it .
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:24 PM   #55
78BO

Hey guys, it's cool to see that there are more single dads out there. I've been in your place before. It's just been me and the boy for 9yrs. I started with the state making 1921 a month. I went from 75k to 23 in less then a week. I did it for the benefits. I wont tell you what to do, but I will tell you what I would do if I had to do it all over again.

I wouldn't get rid of the truck!

Why? One it's something that makes you happy. You'll need that. You'll need that something to make you feel good at the end of the day. I got rid of all of my toys and with in a month was kicking myself. For the first 2 years all I did was work and go home. I couldn't go out because I had the boy. And because I had nothing it made it really hard. I ended up spending more money so that I could have something of my own.

So I say keep the truck. If you have to get an apartment make it a good one.

Good luck and take care of that kid. Mines 11 now and we can't be happier.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:39 PM   #56
MR .T

Id keep the truck put some 308 gears in her and roll on. You could get a th2004R they are the same length as a th350 long tail if memory serves me correct, they have a lower 1st gear so it would seem like 3.73 gears anyway. they are cheap to buy from a wrecking yard and easy to install. They are in most A/G bodys. If you go with the 2004r route make sure you get the TV cable and bracket from the donor.
MR .T is offline   Reply With Quote