The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2010, 04:20 AM   #1
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Need help on this one AC question

one question the center vent how necessary is it to have working cus i'm looking to put the dual speaker under the dash with Kenwood that have 180 watts per speaker and they say i can't use it do to it wont fit i just wanted to know if i just rerouted the hoses and not use the center vent will it affect how cool the truck will get i'm useing all the factory hook ups for the speaker reason why i ask i have a 1972 with only a heater and it worked in it but the round tube for the center vent gets in the way
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:34 AM   #2
Beuford

Re: Need help on this one AC question

I'm glad I hooked mine up I get at least half of my cooling from the center. I bought the Brothers conversion and it needs only one hose saves alot of room under the dash. I'd connect it if it was me.IMHO

Last edited by Beuford; 01-21-2010 at 07:34 AM.
Beuford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsalvage View Post
one question the center vent how necessary is it to have working cus i'm looking to put the dual speaker under the dash with Kenwood that have 180 watts per speaker and they say i can't use it do to it wont fit i just wanted to know if i just rerouted the hoses and not use the center vent will it affect how cool the truck will get i'm useing all the factory hook ups for the speaker reason why i ask i have a 1972 with only a heater and it worked in it but the round tube for the center vent gets in the way
Through my various junkyard strips an original mono speaker holder found its way into my stash. I purchased an old school shaft style tape deck radio for my truck from JC Whitney that came with a pair of small speakers. I fabbed a piece of sheet metal to sit in the mono speaker holder with two holes for the speakers.

A month or two ago I cut the hole for the center vent for my AC. I used factory pieces for the center vent. It all fit under there. It is a tight fit but it is all there. I did block off one side of the center vent and only ran one duct up to it - that idea came from the LMC catalog. They sell a kit that blocks off one side of the vent and one output from the fan. Not having that extra hose in there gave me a touch more room.

I had some unpaid time off so I took my time when I cut the center vent hole. I pulled the glove box liner and the instrument cluster so I had access from both sides.

If I need to do maintenance on the center vent, front speakers, or radio I'm in for probably pulling the glove box and/or instrument cluster but it seems to all be hanging in there. I have been bouncing around on the lakes fishing and the stuff seems to be hanging on pretty good for as violently I'm bouncing the truck around. That Christmas snow then rain storm up here really made the surfaces of the lakes rough.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:32 PM   #4
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

well they make one that is from brothers that has 2 speakers in one square thine plate with the 2 Kenwood speakers for 80.00 i know it works on the None AIR trucks but i just wanted to know if they would work on the air trucks i like having a good factory speaker up under the dash the one in my 1972 3/4 ton truck sound fantastic with 2 small 3 inch speakers ribbed to a thine peace of plastic sheet it should work
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
cdowns

i used the dual speaker set from LMC with the ac was very tight needed a bit of trimming but worked really good
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:51 PM   #6
leddzepp

If you cap off the center vent, you will increase the air volume to the 2 side vents. You won't lose any cooling power....but it is still nice to feel cold air coming from the center. The center block-off kit brothers sells is junk. All you need are a couple rubber pipe caps from Home Depot, and they work much better.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man

Last edited by leddzepp; 01-21-2010 at 04:54 PM.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:41 AM   #7
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
If you cap off the center vent, you will increase the air volume to the 2 side vents. You won't lose any cooling power....but it is still nice to feel cold air coming from the center. The center block-off kit brothers sells is junk. All you need are a couple rubber pipe caps from Home Depot, and they work much better.
I didn't use the kit either. I just brought my center vent and that piece on the heater system into my local hardware store and found two rubber pipe caps that fit.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:15 PM   #8
grs

I installed speakers in the doors. 6 by 9 They sound great.
Attached Images

grs is offline   Reply With Quote