The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
Yellow Cheyenne

Cab parts-big truck vs short stepside

New to the 55-59 pickups. Just got my dad's 56 Chevy short step that has been setting for about 25 years. Due to rust, it needs roof (inside and out) cab corners, hood, steps and probably more.

I've been told that the cab and hood are the same from big trucks. Is the info true?

Are the cab, doors, hood, and inner fenders the same?

Thanks,

Randy
'70 Olds Rallye 350
Yellow Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
56hotrodred

Re: Cab parts-big truck vs short stepside

The cab, doors, hood & inner fenders are all the same, although there are a few slight differences within those years. Just make sure to use all of a 55 second series or whatever parts in your build. If you start mixing a 55 second series with a 58 or 59 for example there are minor differences I hear.

I am sure others will be able to tell you exactly what those differences are.

56hotrodred
56hotrodred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:22 PM   #3
JML55

The driver door of my 1/2 ton came from a 2ton truck, not a problem at all. I think from the firewall back its the same.
55 Belair
99 S10

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316140
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=806011
JML55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
56hotrodred

My drivers side door is also off of a big truck.

The big farm trucks I have seen around here are in pretty good shape. The grain trucks actually saw very little use only during harvest and while they may be a little rusted along the bottom depending on where they were stored the hinges and rest of the structure seem to survive better then the 1/2 tons.

I would suspect this being from less use and abuse.

56hotrodred
56hotrodred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
Yellow Cheyenne

I'm considering using a 2 ton truck cab that is supposed to be in pretty good shape-maybe a small pin hole in one cab corner. My dad bought his pickup new in 56 and I would like to retain the cab, but know if I start trying to repair all of the rust it will take more time and money and be less likely to be completed than just replacing it. As stated earlier, the grain trucks were typically brought out of the shed only for harvest then put away for the rest of the year so the rust is a lot less. From what I think I've been able to figure out, the late 55's and 56's use the same fender and hood. A 57 fender will work with a little bit of metal work at the outside edges of the grill. I know the 58' and 59's have the dual headlights so the fenders are different. For now, the cab and doors are my main concern. Didn't want to buy and refinish them only to find something is different.

I can also see the 2 ton truck fenders, grill and I believe bumper are different from the half tons.

Thanks for the responses.

Randy
'70 Olds Rallye 350
Yellow Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote