The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
2badgn

HELP: How to change heater core in 84 GMC 3500- no AC

How difficult is it to change the heater core? I am not that great in mechanical ability with the exception of changing oil, door panels and detailing. I have spent alot of money on this truck and it would be nice if I could change out this heater core myself. The heater core is only about $40.
It was 20 degress in NY yesterday and the heat was minimal on high fan.
Radiator is full, heater hoses were replaced about 5 years ago.

How do I make sure that the problem is the heater core? Truck is 26 years old & it has never been changed. Where is the control valve located?

Is the heater core the box behind the glove compartment?

I have no problems using wrenches & screwdrivers but I struggle w/special clips. Can somebody tell me exactly what is required to remove it.

Thanks
Frank
2badgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
lvschevytrucks
Unfinished Project Club

Re: HELP: How to change heater core in 84 GMC 3500- no AC

Doesn't sound like a heater core to me, if you have good circulation in your radiator system, and no leaks, Id leave it alone, and look elsewere for the problem

Handle every Stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Pee on it and walk away.

1996 Dodge Intreped ES Nice car great on gas

1993 Jeep Cherokee.

Looking for a swb chevy 73-87

Last edited by lvschevytrucks; 01-31-2010 at 04:56 PM.
lvschevytrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
2badgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvschevytrucks View Post
Doesn't sound like a heater core to me, if you have good circulation in your radiator system, and no leaks, Id leave it alone.
No leaks, Chevy delaer just changed timing chain, tune-up, complete radiator flush.

Problem is that there is barely any heat.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-31-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
lvschevytrucks
Unfinished Project Club

what temp thermostat are you running,
Is the fan Blower working,
how well is the cab insolated, any cold air comming in from outside

Handle every Stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Pee on it and walk away.

1996 Dodge Intreped ES Nice car great on gas

1993 Jeep Cherokee.

Looking for a swb chevy 73-87
lvschevytrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
thehitchmaster

If there is no sign of a water leak I would check to make sure the door is opening when you slide the adjuster to hot. If i remember correctly you can see the cable for the door if you take the glove box out.
thehitchmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
2badgn

Door is opening when i slide lever to hot. Cab is insulated- just replaced the floor jute and vinyl floor matt. Thermostat is factory.

Where is the contol valve?
Old 01-31-2010, 05:35 PM   #7
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

this is a picture of the heater box and the cables. Im betting that either the door is stuck or the cable is bad or unhooked the lower cable is the one that opens up the hot and cold door.if you dont have a loss of coolant or you have a decent color of your antifreeze and its not all rusted brown your heater core is prolly not the culprit.
Id crawl under and see if you can open this door and the heat should work
Attached Images

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:38 PM   #8
thehitchmaster

wow! a heater is a very basic operation. are you reffering to the valve that goes on a heater hose. If so they are usually near the firewall.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:51 PM   #9
thehitchmaster

also can you take a air hose and blow one side of the core and make sure its not plugged up. you did say it was pretty old.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:56 PM   #10
cableguy0

Do not blow compressed air through the heater especially not an old one unless you want to replace it. it will likely put a hole in it. unhook the heater hoses from the engine and attatch a garden hose to the heater core and flush it backward and forward. its very possible the heater core is clogged. another possibility is a bunch of trash/leaves etc is stuck in the heater box. mice and other critters like to make nests in em which kills the air flow. the door could also be stuck or broken. if there is a heater control valve it is in line in one of the heater hoses.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:03 PM   #11
thehitchmaster

not trying to be rude but how would you put a hole in a core by blowing some air in it. Please dont take it the wrong way cableguy, I like your water hose method better anyways.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:08 PM   #12
2badgn

Ok- Just started the truck. It was ice cold for several minutes. Then on the highest fan setting, heater and hot, it was a little colder than lukewarm. I got under the dash and heard the flap for the door open and close. When i switched the lever to cold, the heater blew ice cold, and when i switched it back to hot, it was less than lukewarm at its best. Both heater hoses felt warm to the touch.

Truck just got back form the body shop for complete paint and the inner & outer fenders were replaced.
Any other ideas on what to check? How can i make sure than the door is open completely?
Thanks
Old 01-31-2010, 06:08 PM   #13
cableguy0

its not meant to take near that kind of pressure. if it is clogged the 100+psi of air is either going to make its own way out of the core or move the blockage. if it cant move the block it will pop one of the solder joints. the most pressure the heater core will ever see in normal use is 15psi depening on the radiator cap and most compressors are capable of 10 times that.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:10 PM   #14
cableguy0

if the door is moving at all the arm isnt broke. you wouldnt feel a difference in temperature. is there resistance in the lever when you move it? does it feel like its getting hung up?
Old 01-31-2010, 06:13 PM   #15
2badgn

Im thinking its time for a new heater core. Cant run the hose now bc its like 15 degrees in NY.

How many hours of labor could this be?

Im thinking 2 hours plus heater core plus tax.

If it were the summer, I would tackle it myself but its COLD and we need heat. Going to bring it to Chevy tomorrow. Thanks for everyones help.

Frank
Old 01-31-2010, 06:15 PM   #16
cableguy0

its not a bad job. its a couple bolts and pretty straight forward especially in a truck with no ac. only one bolt is a pain to get to.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:17 PM   #17
thehitchmaster

It took me a couple hours. probably could have done it a little quicker but i used some foam tape to seal up some of those plastic duct connections.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:22 PM   #18
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

heater core done in a shop should be about $300-400

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote