The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2010, 08:27 PM   #1
chevymotocross

Thinking about starting again with another square body

My truck, in signature below, an 87 swb, has been an awesome truck. I've owned it for over 2 years and it has never left me stranded. I bought this truck, knowing it would eventually need some body work, but unfortunately, these Connecticut winters turned it from a nice daily driver, to almost a rotted out piece of scrap.

This past spring, I started on the body work. I work as I go, this is a daily driver and I have no other vehicle to drive at this time. I put new fenders, new rockers, new doors, new weather-stripping. New body mount bushings.

Mechanically it has a new radiator, tank, and starter, that was all I had to replace mechanically.

I bought a new practically rust free bed for it, still not on. I have new cab corners which I would be putting on when removing the bed.

When the bed is off, the frame needs to be addressed. It is solid up until the very rear, where the bumper bolts to. The metal is thin and rotting away there. Also, an upper control arm has rotted through to the point where I may have to take the truck off the road until I fix it.

Pluses this truck has are:

Interior is immaculate including no cracks in the dash
It's a silverado so it has all the options, including cold and converted 134a
It's a shortbed
It's fuel injected
It's black

Negatives:

still lots of body work to do (cab corners, bed to install, frame to sand down and possibly fix, prime, paint, etc)

The 700r4 is on its last legs

305 runs good but unknown mileage, it smokes on startup.

Needs front suspension work which will include a new UCA and all new bushings.

Lowering kit needed

As you can see, it still needs a good amount of work. Up here the trucks of this vintage are expensive. I bought it for around $2000 and I put and will be putting lots into it.

I'm seeing trucks for sale that don't require this amount of work, already have a solid foundation.

For example, I found an 86 silverado for sale locally for $2500.

Postives:

Body work/paint appear to have been down correctly, and... it's DONE. Very clean, no rust underneath either.... trust me, I looked!

Lowering kit, big plus. It has been done correctly with spindles, shackles hangers, shocks, etc. This alone costs $400+ and I was planning on doing this to my black truck if I decide to keep it. I'm sure those old rusty New England bolts are going to make the job fun. Atleast this truck is already done!

Negatives:

carbureter

originally a 700r4, with a th350 installed. Kickdown cable not installed, must manually downshift. I realized a 700r4 is a MUST for my driving. It would need to have a 700r4 swapped back in, atleast it shouldn't be too hard since it had a 700r4 which is the same length, tailshaft, etc.... according to seller atleast.

8 foot bed, but this could actually be a plus. Personally, I think shortbeds look a tad better, but I realized when it comes to what I do, an 8 foot is more practical.

I've included some pics of my truck and the one that is catching my eye. To sum up, my truck I paid about the same as the blue one. I have put, and will continue putting lots of labor and $$$ into before it is in the condition of the blue one. I've come to the point where I realize even after all the money I put into my black truck, it is still only worth about $2500 anyways.... so why not buy a $2500 truck that already had all that time and money spent?

Showing the type of rust I am and have been dealing with on my truck

The truck of interest:

Last edited by chevymotocross; 01-27-2010 at 08:31 PM.
chevymotocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
MR .T

Re: Thinking about starting with again with another square body

If your frame is like the control arm id go with the other truck and keep that one for parts.
MR .T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
78-5.3

you could make a great truck from both trucks and part outthe rest !!! to recoupe some money !!!
Old 01-27-2010, 10:01 PM   #4
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

I see a chance here to have a winter beater and a sweet summer cruiser, Just patch the black one mechanically and drive it till the body falls off....
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:56 PM   #5
chevymotocross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
I see a chance here to have a winter beater and a sweet summer cruiser, Just patch the black one mechanically and drive it till the body falls off....
Yea but I really don't want to drive a 2wd in the snow anymore. Sandbags are getting old and I don't want to swap snow tires around etc. I just want to turn the key and drive. That's why I plan on a 4x4 or fwd car.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:22 AM   #6
Big Port Jimmy 6
Addicted to Rust

Re: Thinking about starting again with another square body

Sounds like you would be money ahead with the blue one.
87 GMC CCSB 5.3 4l60E Daily Driver

ECTA National record holder XO/PP

We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public.
Big Port Jimmy 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:35 AM   #7
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

Damn man that's some serious rust! I would seriously consider something nicer to start out with idk though. Defiantly 4x4 in the winter time cause 2wds are no fun lol!
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:07 PM   #8
chevymotocross

I'm really on the fence with this. The blue truck is obviously ahead of mine. I'm really not sure if I want to go with a carb and longbed though. There is something about a shortbed that gives the truck a cooler look..... except when it's rotting away.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:35 PM   #9
chevymotocross

I decided to keep what I have and finish it off. I realized a long bed and going backwards in technology to a carb is not what I want. I'm halfway through the process, truck still gets me down the road everyday (well, soon it will be parked with that UCA looking like that). Coming back from some Air Force training, I will have some good money to work with to finish what I need to. I'm glad I am deciding to stick with it.