The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
Savage

where can i get a replacement 350/454 engine

hello,

back in september i blew my 350. since then, it has done a lot of very depressing sitting still with no working engine. finally around christmas it was replaced with another 350 from a junkyard that the guy that put it in for me (the mechanic for my work) swears by and has always dealt with. he did a very very nice job putting in this new engine (it took a lot of work as it was originally a disaster under the hood). the thing sounded great and i mean great but unfortunately it didn't make it more than a couple of miles down the highway before it blew up into a cloud of smoke that almost actually caused an accident. we were aware of the engine making a knocking noise as if it was also ready to go but supposedly these old junkyard engines will sometimes do that a little until you break them in "again". so he called his guy up furious and got another engine which is supposedly not going to crap out on us again. but who knows.

long story short:

where online can i get a replacement gm 350 (or 454 - i'd like to put a 454 in this truck) that will be very reliable or new? i'm looking at http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/ ... is this a reputable website and product? are there any other options

i never thought the truck would be down for 4 months on the night that i blew my engine in september. this is extremely depressing and the guy that is doing this for me, while very good, is insanely busy and is actually not supposed to be doing this at our warehouse so he has to basically sneak around fixing my truck when he is supposed to be working on company trucks. and it doesn't help that he's getting sent out on job sites when he's supposed to be our mechanic...