The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
BMSJaX

How low are you?

Alright I'm wanting to raise the front end of my truck up and I got me a pair of stock height springs and I'm wondering how much higher my front end will be compared to now. At the moment I am resting on my bump stops and I count 4 full coils left on the springs, I have 31" tires and measure from the ground to the fender lip at 28". LMC says 32" is stock but I dont know what tire size they are using as reference. Does anyone have pics of their truck with stock springs and 31" tires?
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
jason65
Registerd User

Re: How low are you?

Sumtin like this. If I remember right your bumpstop will be a couple inches from the cross member.
Attached Images

Last edited by jason65; 01-31-2010 at 10:18 PM.
jason65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I installed what were claimed to be 1" lowering springs in the front of mine about 10 years ago. When new they appeared about stock height, however over the next 10 years the drivers side sagged about an inch. I installed a 1" race rubber in the left spring, and it now sits level again at roughly the stock height. The bottom of the fender lip is 30" off the ground directly above the tire centerline with 26.5" tall front tires.

Assuming the stock tires were 6.70-15’s, per the following Coker link those would be about 28.5” tall, which would seem to indicate my suspension is pretty close to stock if the LMC spec of 32” is correct.

http://store.coker.com/670-15-firestone-2-1-4-ww.html

If you need a photo of the snubber clearance let me know and I'll get a picture of it later in the day.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
SIR
SIR

...4/4 drop spindles and springs....
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMSJaX View Post
...I dont know what tire size they are using as reference.
I believe the stock-sized tire for our trucks from the factory was the 6.70x15 four-ply tire, which was about 27 inches in diameter (approximately the same dimensions as a current P metric radial of 205/75R15).
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:22 AM   #6
BMSJaX

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
I installed what were claimed to be 1" lowering springs in the front of mine about 10 years ago. When new they appeared about stock height, however over the next 10 years the drivers side sagged about an inch. I installed a 1" race rubber in the left spring, and it now sits level again at roughly the stock height. The bottom of the fender lip is 30" off the ground directly above the tire centerline with 26.5" tall front tires.

Assuming the stock tires were 6.70-15’s, per the following Coker link those would be about 28.5” tall, which would seem to indicate my suspension is pretty close to stock if the LMC spec of 32” is correct.

http://store.coker.com/670-15-firestone-2-1-4-ww.html

If you need a photo of the snubber clearance let me know and I'll get a picture of it later in the day.
Ya if you could post a pic of the clearance that would be great. I would like to see what proper clearance looks like.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:29 AM   #7
BMSJaX

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin63 View Post
I believe the stock-sized tire for our trucks from the factory was the 6.70x15 four-ply tire, which was about 27 inches in diameter (approximately the same dimensions as a current P metric radial of 205/75R15).
Alright so my front height should be around 33-34" then? OK that sounds about right, I saw on here once sittin on your bump stops is like a 6" drop I think... And my front is at 28" right now
Old 02-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #8
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Here are a few shots of the snubber clearance on my truck. I couldn't get a dead level shot due to the steering linkage:

Old 02-03-2010, 07:30 PM   #9
northern 85

Mark what is that in the coil on the drivers side?
northern 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:14 PM   #10
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern 85 View Post
Mark what is that in the coil on the drivers side?
It's a spring rubber designed to change the spring rate, but I used it as a permanent spacer. On my truck, over the ten years since I installed the front springs, the driver side spring sagged just about an inch, causing the truck to lean to that side. I installed the unit shown at the attached link and it leveled the truck, without having to take the whole front end apart for a spring replacement.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dual-...Q5fAccessories

By comparison, metal spring spacers focus stress on one spot in the coil. With this in place my truck rides like before and measures out the same on both sides. The only downside to the spring rubber is getting it installed. I had to remove the upper snubber and unload the suspension, and even then I could only get about 3/4 of the rubber coil in place, but at a little over 10 bucks it was a great investment.