The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
AusTruck

Cannibalize 78G20 into 69C10?

I've got a 78 Chevy G20 Van that I bought new in 78. 350/350. Front 5-lug disk brakes, and 'cause its a 3/4 ton, a Dana 60 limited slip rear end with 2.73 gears on a leaf springs. Factory AC, power brakes, cruise control, and tilt wheel. Factory gauge package. Decent 5-lug turbine style wheels. Certain of all this as I bought it new and ordered it with just about every heavy-duty option possible.

I've used it hard but taken pretty good care of it. Although the body has a lot of surface rust, no rust through and with an oil change I'd drive it cross country without worrying. I've done Texas to the East Coast more times than I could remember. Likewise, helped move so many people outa old homes/apartments into new homes than I can remember. At one time, it hauled several road race bikes.

The Van is strong as a bull but ugly as hell. Ok, the outside has surface rust and the upholstery is on its last legs. Also the AC isn't working either. One advantage the Van does have as resale is that its a 78 3/4 ton which meant NO cat converters from the factory! Part of the reason I ordered it at the time.

HOWEVER, there's my 69 C10......It was originally a 6-cylinder with 350 turbo and factory air. Some PO installed power steering and a 350 crate motor with some sort of cam. Edelbrock Performer manifold with Edelbrock 650 carb. Hooker comp headers and flows. I've got electrical issues I'm working through right now.

I could cannibalize the whole front end from the Van and get 5 lug front disk brakes on the C10. Might use the power booster and prop valve too. Seeing as that moves the front wheels out, I could swap the Dana 60 with limited slip and move the rear wheels out, getting matching 5 lugs in the process. Yes, I know about the new trailing arm perches that would have to be welded on, and probably use a CPP locating arm that attaches to the passenger side trailing arm. Use the existing 15" wheels from the Van too.

Cannibalize the tilt column too, seeing as it doesn't have the ignition switch on it.

Oh, the 2.73 rear gears would be kinda low (numerically)? Well there's the Doug Nash 4+1 in the garage with the deep first gear that I've been meaning to install that could address that. Yeah, need all the clutch, flywheel, linkage, etc parts for the conversion, but that could wait.

I'd love to reuse the 350/350, but don't have a place for them. Although I've never had the pan off, as its a G20, its likely to be a 4 bolt main. BTW, the engine has never been apart except for a couple of starters, two water pumps and one carb rebuild.

So rather than continue to pay the $30 monthly storage charge for the Van, or try and sell it?
One thing I'm wondering about all this fiasco, is if the front track of the Van is the same width as the Dana rear? So if I swapped all this over, I'd end up with the same track width front and rear?

One other thing I'd like to mention is the eventual use of the C10 is as a street truck with possible 1/4 mile usage. The Dana 60 limited slip would probably eliminate rear end issues

Last edited by N2TRUX; 02-01-2010 at 06:57 PM.
AusTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:55 PM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Cannibalize 78G20 into 69C10?

AusTruck-Please note that you must be a subscribing member to offer items for sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing.

I am by no means knowledgeable of GM vans. With that disclaimer please allow me to express my confusion. You say the van is a G20 which designates it to be a 3/4 ton. Then you state that it has a 5 lug pattern.

I have never heard of a 3/4 ton GM vehicle that was 5 lug. As far as I know they were all 8 lug. The van platform might be different, I just didn't think it was.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
AusTruck

I was never intending to use this post to sell the vehicle, or any parts off of it. I was just discussing my plans or strategy for this vehicle and just wanted some opinions from other more experienced people than me. If I do sell anything from it off this board, I will guaranteed pay any fees that are necessary. Np there.

Indeed, as I bought the vehicle new, I can confirm that it is a G20, and it had 5 lug suspension from the day I bought it. Nobody has made any changes to the suspension as it has always been mine. I'll see if I can post some pics.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
suville

Interesting I certainly didnt read into this "anything for sale" myself! As to the G20 being 3/4T. with 5 lug absolutely had a 77 ordered it new from Chevrolet when I was Body Shop foreman at Pignataro Chevrolet in Everett, Washington, I am pretty sure the track width is wider on Vans than Pickups BUT Vans do not have a frame so you might be able to remove the parts and install them on the Pickup front crossmember They did share the same rotors and calipers that the same year Pickups also Buick,Olds and Pontiac all 5 on 5 wheel bolt pattern
suville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:26 PM   #5
AusTruck

Suville,,,,thanks for the comments. Assuming the weather improves (meaning no cold rain) this weekend, I may venture down to where the Van is stored, take the wheels off and measure the track width. Has me curious as tho whether I can pull this off. Considering that I've seen the average price of limited slip rears start around $500 in Central Texas, that limited slip Dana on the Van gets more tempting by the day. Particularly when paired up with that Doug Nash 4+1.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #6
suville

That would make a neat rig! like I said there is no frame under the Van so I would just measure the U&LCA's compare them to the C10 and I'm pretty sure they might interchange not sure on the PS box, come to think of it (been awhile since I looked under one) there is a crossmember under the Van you can remove the complete front susp. and the engine which is fastened to that cradle. If it is interchangeable that would sure open up a new source of swap options for us! Lots of 71 and up to ? Vans out there and all disc brake 5 on 5, the rear ends might be wider too I have one out in the back field if it warms up enough I'll go check this out myself. Thanks for the input.
suville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #7
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Most likely they have the same bolt in front suspension crossmember that is in the trucks, it is just bolted to the unibody of the van instead of the frame rails of a truck.

I just missed out on getting a neighbors wrecked G30 van to do the same thing to my 67 C-10. His wife made him sell it for scrap before I could come up with the cash he wanted to buy it from him.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:39 PM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by suville View Post
Interesting I certainly didnt read into this "anything for sale" myself!
That's becuase you didn't read the part that I edited out. Thanks for your input...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 02-04-2010 at 09:39 PM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote