The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2010, 10:39 PM   #1
Street Sweeper

65 Front Suspension Question

I'm planning out my suspension changes to our 65 Suburban. I've ruled out bagging it because I have limited funds. I know I need to upgrade the suspension to something with a little better ride, a lower stance, and better steering characteristics.

OK, I realize I'll get lots of different opinions here, (but that's kind of what I'm looking for). I'd like to know from some of you more experienced builders what you see as the pros and cons of a mustang II type set-up vs changing out the upper and lower control arms, shocks, and springs (like the CPP kit) but keeping the stock geometry.

Right now our truck has the stock 6 cyl in it - but plans are to drop in a 454 later. I don't really want to make changes to the suspension more than once if I can avoid it.

Any advice / opinions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Street Sweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:59 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: 65 Front Suspension Question

Changing to a MII based suspension is pretty much equal to basic upgrades to a GM set-up but will cost more. The Fatmans bolt-in c.member can offer a little more ground clearance when getting really low.

What's your goal for the dropped ride height? 2/4, 4/6, 5/7?
What sort of budget are you trying to work within?
When you reference 'better steering', can you be more specific on your goals?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:39 AM   #3
Street Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
What's your goal for the dropped ride height? 2/4, 4/6, 5/7?
What sort of budget are you trying to work within?
When you reference 'better steering', can you be more specific on your goals?
SCOTI:

Thanks for the reply. In answer to your questions;

Based on pictures I've seen here on the site I'll probably be looking for 2.5-3" drop in the front and 4" in the rear.

My budget for the front suspension will probably be around $1600-$1800.

Sorry - I'm probably mixing two separate issues on my original post. I want the steering to have a more modern feel with less extra motion or play in it. We will be adding power steering. I guess I need to know if the MII rack is superior to the stock steering set-up. Should the sway bar be added to the stock steering? I appreciate the mention of the Fatman set-up. I'm checking that out now.

Hopefully this helps clear our goals up a little. Maybe?
Thanks for your response.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:03 AM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Sweeper View Post
SCOTI:

Thanks for the reply. In answer to your questions;

Based on pictures I've seen here on the site I'll probably be looking for 2.5-3" drop in the front and 4" in the rear.

My budget for the front suspension will probably be around $1600-$1800.

Sorry - I'm probably mixing two separate issues on my original post. I want the steering to have a more modern feel with less extra motion or play in it. We will be adding power steering. I guess I need to know if the MII rack is superior to the stock steering set-up. Should the sway bar be added to the stock steering? I appreciate the mention of the Fatman set-up. I'm checking that out now.

Hopefully this helps clear our goals up a little. Maybe?
Thanks for your response.
That budget is generous compared to many on the site. A modern feel w/less motion can definitely be obtained by switching to a MII R&P based set-up. You can also update the factory truck steering gear to work as good. Which is better is subjective @ best. Either can be good or bad; it's the supporting parts that make or break the system.

The factory steering box can be swapped for a new purpose built unit w/better ratio & zero play. Couple that w/some decent a-arm bushings, proper spring rates, upgraded shocks, sway bar mounted in poly-bushings, some good tires, & an updated alignment & it will be like a new truck (new = meaning engineered to perform). The key is balance & to get that you'll want to try & find a company that offers a 'system' that best fits your needs.

I would not spend the money for a MII based kit when you're only seeking a 3/5 max drop. A set of drop spindles for the front & some slightly shorter replacement springs w/a better spring rate & the above mentioned steering upgrades would work very well.

The rear is easy enough but the same consideration should be given to the 'system' approach for best results. New shorter, slightly higher rate springs, lowering blocks, upgraded shocks, poly bushings, & good tires will help balance the rear to the front offering better overall vehicle dynamics (which yields a bigger grin on your face as you rack up those miles!).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:23 AM   #5
Street Sweeper

SCOTI:

Thanks for the input. Great points - great info. I appreciate your help.