The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2010, 08:20 PM   #26
vectorit
What?

Re: To the guys with completed restorations

Quote:
Originally Posted by weircc View Post
and for the record no restoration is complete
Truer words were never spoken.

My restoration has been more like a hobby, but with only one truck to restore.
To me and my restoration, I think of it as an ongoing series of goals to accomplish. When one is done, there is always another one to take it's place.

If I were in the business of restoring things, then it would be a whole different outlook.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:56 PM   #27
rsavage

Bubba4speed-
love that little 327. Stock solid lifter cam and original winters intake.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #28
RTRoberto

I've not read any responses, so it's probably already been said, or you probably already know it, but you can usually buy a more completed car/truck cheaper than you can build it yourself. I know this from experience.
RTRoberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:06 PM   #29
whatnow123

Quote:
Originally Posted by weircc View Post
and for the record no restoration is complete
I second this...

I just kept at it on mine however I now I find myself wishing it wasn't done yet as you lose the "something to look forward to" be it parts you ordered sitting at your door when you get home, custom fabrication of something that turns out better than you expected, the first drive...

Build thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=219094
whatnow123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:05 AM   #30
pat 70/71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba4spd View Post
How does the ride quality & comfort of your restored/upgraded C-10s compare with the newer trucks?
Bubba, the ride quality / comfort /brakes are great on my 71 (truck on avatar)
I replaced all ball joints/ front end parts rear axles/seals/bearings drive shaft. I think you will be surprised at how nice your truck will ride/drive/stop we drive ours all the time make up places to go just to drive em! we have a 04 chevy truck it rides a little better than the 71 but , its not 40 + years old. Pat

Last edited by pat 70/71; 02-04-2010 at 02:10 AM.
pat 70/71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:35 AM   #31
RTRoberto

I prefer driving the old cars and truck. I have an 05 F150 for work, but I hope to finish my 70 Chevy, which is a pretty good truck already, for daily driving. There will come a time that I'll need to buy a new truck, so I'd rather just put $10,000 into the old Chevy than trade the F150 plus $15,000 for a new truck.
RTRoberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:09 AM   #32
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnow123 View Post
I second this...

I just kept at it on mine however I now I find myself wishing it wasn't done yet as you lose the "something to look forward to" be it parts you ordered sitting at your door when you get home, custom fabrication of something that turns out better than you expected, the first drive...
Just need another project. I'm doing my 71 C-10 now, but already have parts and plans for more work on my Jimmy, then plans for a 2wd blazer I've been slowly accumulating parts for, then ideas for a car project down the road, then...
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #33
Bubba4spd

dhaymaker, thanks for the advice. So you really don't put deadlines on your project? You just work along as time permits? You seem to have the ideal personality for this hobby.

RT- No doubt your probably right but I have always had this something down inside of me to create something by myself for myself exactly the way I wanted it. For instance, I have a 99 Silverado extended cab that I ordered new. I had to wait 3 months for her being that I wanted it with the stock then 5 speed manual trans. Chevy does not any longer offer a stick in any 1/2 ton model anymore much to my disappointment. To me, nothing can compare to the sound of a manual shifter going through the gears.

Last edited by Bubba4spd; 02-04-2010 at 01:25 PM. Reason: improvement
Bubba4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #34
Camaro_nut2001
Chevy Lover Till The End.

Well with me, I don't need motivation to finish my truck as I will never finish it. I love to work on my truck and sometimes just sit in my recliner and dream. I am not able to do any of the big work anymore, lol and I am lucky to have friends like I have to help me. My advise is to not set any deadlines and to never force yourself to go out and work on your truck. If you see something you like then put it into your truck. Take pictures at car shows of stuff you like and come home and add it to your truck your way. If you don't want to work on your truck then don't just look at your magazines and parts books and before you know it you're out there turning the last bolt on an idea you came up with or finishing up something you took pictures of two months ago that you liked. The main thing is to enjoy yourself and not pressure yourself as life is to short. Just my two cent's worth. Good luck to you.
1968 Chevrolet Impala Sport Coupe - 327/350hp, TH400, all original.
Members I've met: BamaBaxter,

My Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=500359
Camaro_nut2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:23 PM   #35
Bubba4spd

I really do appreciate all of your suggestions!!! Each one has helpful information within it and I am so ready to be proud of myself for accomplishing something I wish to do for a change.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:27 PM   #36
mclairmo

I think you have to LOVE these old vehicles and LOVE working on them. Without the LOVE, it's hard to keep on going year after year. I live, eat and crap this stuff and LOVE it. I go to sleep with visions of truck/car parts dacing in my head. I have parts in every room of my house, even the bathrooms. My bathroom floor is covered with car magazines/catalogs. My second word as a baby was car. First word was "NO". My son's second word (after "Mama") was "carparts". My dad's toast at my wedding was about how he was so happy all my car parts were moving out of his house along with me. I've been building cars since I was 12 years old. If you truly love it, you will take a break and come back to it and never give up. It took me 4 years to finish my Mustang, 4 years to finish my Camaro and will take more than 4 years to finish my 68 c10 now that I am married with a kid. Don't give up but also don't spread yourself so thin. One project at a time is best. Finish one and then start on another. Also, keep it running and driveable if you can so you can enjoy it while your build it. Good luck.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:24 PM   #37
Bubba4spd

mclairmo - I've been given that advice, to keep the thing running and driveable several times already. Hottrucks mentioned on here and Pat used the term "baby steps" as to how some of these projects get completed. Being that the 72 frame that I have started on is separate from the complete 68, I might just get the old girl drivable. Might learn something.