The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
MidYear

Considering a 66 C20 Custom Cab

Hi all. I've been lurking this forum for several months as I've been looking for a 64-68 to buy. After looking at several trucks, I am considering an original 66 C20 FS LB Custom Cab with a 327, TH400, factory air, PS, PB, and tach. Title (circa 1976), cab, and frame numbers match. I couldn't verify the engine #s due to a poor stamping job, but was able to get a partial of "FC1??"..... "?V12?1XTD?". The chasis is almost rust free, and nearly complete except for missing carb, and air cleaner. The engine "farts" if you squirt a little gas down the manifold and crank it, so it will probably run. Original rams horns feeding an ancient custom exhaust. I know TH400s don't like to be left unused too long so it will likely need to be rebuilt, since it's been sitting for at least 25 years. Has limited slip diff. The AC compressor looks to be good with all lines intact. Wheels are 16" split ring. Tires are junk. No spare wheel, but spare wheel carier is complete.
The cab is solid, but quite rough; shallow dents on the roof, cracked windshield, missing rear window, good door glass. Doors are solid with a few minor dents, and 6" speaker holes that I would probably use. No mirrors, or visors. In dash AC looks complete except for missing the 3 diffusers from the bezel. The heater is nearly complete, but I'm guessing it will need a new core since it has been disconnected, and they rot if left that way. Deluxe horn ring is in decent shape. Stainless CC upper trim is decent. Tach instrument cluster complete, but will need scratched face lens replaced. Solid hood with a few minor dents. Fenders are straight with the standard rust holes ahead of the doors. CC aluminum grill has several dents, but I may be able to restore. Original chrome front bumper in fair condition. All if the lower body SS side trim is missing.
The box is correct, but probably not original and is in rough, restorable condition. The bed will need to be replaced. No rear bumper.
I'm a little long-winded here, but I fogot my camera on this one, and it's a 240 mile trip to see it. I would like to have a 64-66 to haul/tow stuff, and as an occasional driver for my Wife as well. The idea here would be to get it drivable, and then restore it as I go. I can do decent quality body/paint work, and top notch mechanical, so labor (and this will require a lot) would be zero. Of course, I would have to buy the missing, and damaged-beyond-repair parts like the glass, rubber, upholstry, supplies, ect. I have owned a 64 C10 in the past, and a 66 C10 in the (very distant) past.
Now for the $100 question; If I can buy this truck for around $2K will I be throwing money away, or is it more likely that I will have something worth at least what I have into it? This would probably be a keeper; I'm not looking to turn a profit, but it won't break my heart if it has positive value.
Thank you for any input.

BTW, this seems to be a really nice, and diverse group on this forum. It did take me a while to figure out what bagged, slammed, and "on 20's" means though...I must be getting old.
MidYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
62gmc910

Re: Considering a 66 C20 Custom Cab

Price seems high for a non runner but it depends how bad you want the option package. LILRED 66 or Captainfab come to mind as to knowing the value and lots of the other guys that have bought lately. I mostly answered cause more guys seemto answer a responded to post Forgot to say welcome from the Great white north west!!
63 GMC 950 camperized school bus, (Gus the bus)
350 4speed 2 speed rear
64 GMC 950 "spare" bus 283? 4speed detroit locker
53 GMC 1ton dual wheel bus
78 GMC c25 short course off road race truck(son's truck)
355 th400 14 bolt (www.wheel2wheel.ca)
88 Peterbilt 379 longhood (hauls race truck)

Last edited by 62gmc910; 02-03-2010 at 02:22 PM.
62gmc910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
MidYear

@ 62gmc910'
Thank's for the welcome, and reply. I'm thinking the price may be a little high too. I can probably get it for around $1500, but I'm figuring the cost of getting it home in with the price. This is the only 64-66 I've found with this options package, or even close, and I'm really considering that because my wife is petite, and she would like those options; she can drive a stick, the problem is she won't (years of being spoiled?), and this would be her "spare car". Also, I prefer the optoins be factory. I've had cool packs before, and they work well, but never cared for the clunky under-dash evaporator. We also found a couple of 68s with similar options, but I'm really leaning towards the earlier models and their mostly metal interior.
I see your son races off-road. I used to go to some midwest off-roads, and pit for a class 7, in the early 80's. That sure was a lot of fun. Bark River, Crandon, Lake Geneva come to mind. Got away from it when I started running late model stocks.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
66coffin

it does seem to be a bit pricey, when shopping for mine i saw a lot for around 2 grand that were runners and in decent shape body wise. i'm not sure how much added value certain options give but i think you could find really good deals out there ( i got my 66 c20 for $900)if you're patient and network as much as possible, this site is awesome for that!! good luck and happy hunting.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

I agree with the other comments.....too much$$$$$$$$. Maybe a grand. There are runners for 1500 in the Valley. I also learned from Cap'n fab that the c20 have an Eaton HO52 rear that have NO parts availability besides bearings, but can be swapped for newer versions of 3/4ton rears.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:02 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I agree that that is too much $$$$$ but then again I'm used to getting them pretty cheap. I have noticed that our trucks have different values relative to where in the country you are located. It sounds as though protrash64 is familar with your area and what the value of these trucks are there. Granted the truck you are looking at is a well optioned truck, so I guess it depends on how badly you want that optioned truck. IMO that truck is worth no more than $1K.....more like $500.00 to me in my area.

OH! and welcome to the forum.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 02-04-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:46 AM   #7
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Pretty well optioned, but with the body condition and the fact that it doesn't run, I am thinking in the $1k range. Photos help tell the story. Many of the options you mentioned are available from various sources, however, by the time you purchase them, you will have gobbled up $1,000.00 or so. "What's it Worth" questions deserve a complex answer to a simple question, with many variables to consider.

In the midwest, where rust is a major issue, due to salting the roads, that truck is worth the money, but in AZ, there are many good, rust-free trucks and parts available for reasonable prices.

Most importantly, welcome to the forums from Kansas City, KS...

Last edited by LILRED66; 02-04-2010 at 02:47 AM.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #8
MidYear

Thanks to all for your response. I'll see if I can get the price down some. If not this truck, will likely find another C20 that suits me.