The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2010, 07:53 PM   #26
primer

Re: TH350 Tranny is it going to be a problem when?????

I've only done 1 of these swaps, so it may be different for you (I'm no expert) but I didn't have to change the drivelines because of the t-cases, however the truck was lifted at the same time of the swap, the rear was lengthened and built as a full spline, and the front was built longer as well. The 205 had larger yokes and the front and rear ends were replaced with a 14 bolt and a dana 60 so the drivelines were built to match (u-joint size). I'll try to get the measurements from both the 203 and 205 and post them.
primer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:15 AM   #27
1979blkchevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer View Post
I've only done 1 of these swaps, so it may be different for you (I'm no expert) but I didn't have to change the drivelines because of the t-cases, however the truck was lifted at the same time of the swap, the rear was lengthened and built as a full spline, and the front was built longer as well. The 205 had larger yokes and the front and rear ends were replaced with a 14 bolt and a dana 60 so the drivelines were built to match (u-joint size). I'll try to get the measurements from both the 203 and 205 and post them.
thanks alot!!!
1979blkchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:14 AM   #28
primer

From the engine mating surface directly above the torque converter cover on the th350, back to the center of the u-joint cap on the np 205 is about 38 inches, this measurement was taken while I was laying on my back, in the mud, ect.ect. so it might be a little off. I'll get the 203 measurement tomorrow.
primer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #29
1979blkchevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer View Post
From the engine mating surface directly above the torque converter cover on the th350, back to the center of the u-joint cap on the np 205 is about 38 inches, this measurement was taken while I was laying on my back, in the mud, ect.ect. so it might be a little off. I'll get the 203 measurement tomorrow.
thanks for doing all that work to get that measurement!!!
1979blkchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:00 PM   #30
sickred72

If you go with TCI beware of the converter you buy. im also in the converter business and see my fare share of tci converters and they are not very impressive. You will need a converter to stall higher because of the amount of hp you will be pushing so your truck will idle.......good luck and dont skimp on the converter remember thats the heart of the transmission! I have a 383 stroker in my 68 swb 559hp at the wheels. 383's dont require alot of stall because its more of a torquey engine. If you do go with tci make sure you ask if the hub half and turbine are completely furnace brazed, that the bearings are torrington ( not japan, taiwan, or china ) make sure the impeller and turbine hub are heat treated and the that the turbine hub is solid riveted and welded in. etc. holy crap just send me a private message and i can walk you through it! I will give you my #

Last edited by sickred72; 02-13-2010 at 02:01 PM.
sickred72 is offline   Reply With Quote