The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2010, 09:04 PM   #1
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Question on stock gauge types

So I'm about to go ahead and order my new set of gauges, but I am not 100% sure on the correct gauge types. I.E. mechanical or electric. Its like -10wc in WI right now, and my garage is unheated......so investigative disassembly isn't happing.

So the stock gauges are:
Fuel level - electric
Volts - electric
Water temp - electric?
Oil psi - mechanical
Speedo - mechanical

Am I right or wrong? (Trucks a 66, non tach, non clock)

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
BMSJaX

Re: Question on stock gauge types

I'm not sure but I would go with electric either way. It is easier in the long run, though initially it may require rewiring and installing the sensors.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:59 PM   #3
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Are you ordering new reproduction factory gauges or are you trying to decide on aftermarket electric or mechanical gauges?

Last edited by LILRED66; 01-28-2010 at 10:59 PM.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Ordering after market oens; the main one im worried about is water temp.
I already have the tubing inthe truck for oil psi, so ill keep that one mech.
All of my previous vehicles have had electric water temp, and I think that would be better that running hot coolant into the truck

Old 01-28-2010, 11:24 PM   #5
BMSJaX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Ordering after market oens; the main one im worried about is water temp.
I already have the tubing inthe truck for oil psi, so ill keep that one mech.
All of my previous vehicles have had electric water temp, and I think that would be better that running hot coolant into the truck
I recommend NOT running tubing for oil into the cab! My buddy had it that way in his '65 Mustang and the fitting on the back of the gauge came loose and suddenly there was hot oil shooting into the car. All that was needed was for him to have been smokin at the time, freak out, drop the cig and we'd have been toasty critters. He was wearing shorts and burned his legs which also almost made us crash... just not worth the possible outcome to use mechanical oil OR fuel press. gauges in the cab
Old 01-28-2010, 11:59 PM   #6
65Custom

I agree with BMSJax you don't want to run the mechanical gauges inside with out eh proper equipment.

Auto meter has the proper part to run mechanical gauges inside the cabin of your ride, basically it is sort of an isolator that keeps the hot oil out side. The Temp gauge can be mechanical because they use a capillary tube which is safe unless you kink it or crack it open but then your gauge will stop working properly anyway the rest would be electrical

http://www.autometer.com/cat_accessories.aspx?sid=56

My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=366677

I must be
65Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:08 AM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If you use the copper line instead of the plastic line with a mechanical oil pressure gauge, you shouldn't have any issues.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:36 AM   #8
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMSJaX View Post
I recommend NOT running tubing for oil into the cab! My buddy had it that way in his '65 Mustang and the fitting on the back of the gauge came loose and suddenly there was hot oil shooting into the car. All that was needed was for him to have been smokin at the time, freak out, drop the cig and we'd have been toasty critters. He was wearing shorts and burned his legs which also almost made us crash... just not worth the possible outcome to use mechanical oil OR fuel press. gauges in the cab
Ummmmm? Unless he was smoking something the size of a tree that had been soaked in gas I think (actually I know for a fact) that this is a huge exaggeration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Custom View Post
I agree with BMSJax you don't want to run the mechanical gauges inside with out eh proper equipment.

Auto meter has the proper part to run mechanical gauges inside the cabin of your ride, basically it is sort of an isolator that keeps the hot oil out side. The Temp gauge can be mechanical because they use a capillary tube which is safe unless you kink it or crack it open but then your gauge will stop working properly anyway the rest would be electrical

http://www.autometer.com/cat_accessories.aspx?sid=56
That isolator is for fuel pressure gauges mounted inside the vehicle as they rely upon "wet" fuel for a proper pressure reading (yes they work for oil and antifreeze as well but in our applications they are highly unneeded). The isolator keeps the fuel out of the drivers compartment.

Guys, on the factory gauge package in our trucks that have actual gauges the oil pressure is mechanical.... which means that the "firebomb" you have described has always been there.

As far as a mechanical temp gauge having a "capillary tube".... wrong. There is no coolant running from the engine to the gauge. There is a mechanical probe that is threaded into either the head or intake and it measures the coolant temp and tranfers that reading to the gauge.

?

I prefer mechanical gauges when possible because there are no electrical sensors which can fail and send an incorrect reading.

Last edited by blackedoutharley; 01-29-2010 at 04:39 AM.
blackedoutharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:29 AM   #9
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUN-CP7975/

one gauge I saw; on the description it says "includes 6ft capilary tubing"

Old 01-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #10
Chevy Fleetside

If you are going to go with aftermarket gauges, I would probably go with an electronic speedo. It can cost extra to get it sincronized to your tranny and stuff. One guy here wants $55 just to put the truck on the dyno. It would probably run up to $300 just to get the speedo sincronized up. http://www.tpigauges.com/products.htm and they are made in USA...

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:17 PM   #11
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

I would have to agree with blackedoutharley; I love mechanical gauges 'cuz you thread in the sensors and your done. Period. Hook up the lighting; very easy 'cuz you usually have 3-6 gauges.....pigtail it all together and have one feed and one good ground. Voltmeter is the only electrical and its simple with any keyed feed.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:42 PM   #12
BMSJaX

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackedoutharley View Post
Guys, on the factory gauge package in our trucks that have actual gauges the oil pressure is mechanical.... which means that the "firebomb" you have described has always been there.
Just cause it was stock doesnt mean its safest or that its not a better idea to go electrical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by protrash64 View Post
I would have to agree with blackedoutharley; I love mechanical gauges 'cuz you thread in the sensors and your done. Period. Hook up the lighting; very easy 'cuz you usually have 3-6 gauges.....pigtail it all together and have one feed and one good ground. Voltmeter is the only electrical and its simple with any keyed feed.
This is true mechanical gauges are easy/cheaper/more accurate. I have electric gauges in my cab and I have a set of mechanical gauges under the hood(volt/oil press/water temp) That way I can see whats going on accurately while I'm under the hood workin or if I think one of my guages in the cab is giving a false reading.

Simple and safe
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2010, 11:07 PM   #13
BMSJaX

And sorry I did not mean to imply that if you run mechanical gauges your car will explode into a big ball of fire. Just meant to show that with the right circumstances there is a chance of damage and injury if you are not careful. I prefer the thought that 'safest is better than safe enough'. In fact I have a fire extinguisher mounted in my cab as well, which I get alot of crap for for some reason. But if I ever need it its there, which is much better than wishin I had had one after I needed it.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:17 PM   #14
Rich 5150 69

I carry a fire extinguisher in mine as well, 20 some odd years ago I did save a f**d truck from burning up on the highway from a stuck float.....the owner was very happy..
`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:48 AM   #15
62gmc910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
If you use the copper line instead of the plastic line with a mechanical oil pressure gauge, you shouldn't have any issues.
I am not trying to be a pain but the stock or for that matter any oil guage line is not made from copper tubing , the steel lines had a brass type coating on them to prevent corosion. Copper is prone to fatigue failure in this type of application , I learned this little bit of trivia the messy way. As for there being any danger from PROPPERLY installed mechanical feed line failures I think meteor strikes are more likely, but if you just slopp the line in, any thing is possible but so is fire from impropperly installed wires
63 GMC 950 camperized school bus, (Gus the bus)
350 4speed 2 speed rear
64 GMC 950 "spare" bus 283? 4speed detroit locker
53 GMC 1ton dual wheel bus
78 GMC c25 short course off road race truck(son's truck)
355 th400 14 bolt (www.wheel2wheel.ca)
88 Peterbilt 379 longhood (hauls race truck)
62gmc910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:11 AM   #16
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I agree that the stock type steel line is superior to a copper line. However I guess I should have elaborated more. I was mainly referring to using the copper line on aftermarket gauges as opposed to the plastic/nylon line that comes with the pressure gauges. I've had the plastic/nylon lines get brittle from underhood heat and fail. I'm not aware of a source for a steel line that small, just the copper line kits from gauge manufacturers such as Autometer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62gmc910 View Post
I am not trying to be a pain but the stock or for that matter any oil guage line is not made from copper tubing , the steel lines had a brass type coating on them to prevent corosion. Copper is prone to fatigue failure in this type of application , I learned this little bit of trivia the messy way. As for there being any danger from PROPPERLY installed mechanical feed line failures I think meteor strikes are more likely, but if you just slopp the line in, any thing is possible but so is fire from impropperly installed wires
Old 01-30-2010, 10:10 AM   #17
62gmc910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I agree that the stock type steel line is superior to a copper line. However I guess I should have elaborated more. I was mainly referring to using the copper line on aftermarket gauges as opposed to the plastic/nylon line that comes with the pressure gauges. I've had the plastic/nylon lines get brittle from underhood heat and fail. I'm not aware of a source for a steel line that small, just the copper line kits from gauge manufacturers such as Autometer
I guess some one in the guage industry has found a workable alloy ergo I change my statement to .only use line provided by a reputable guage manufacturer . emphasis on reputable.
63 GMC 950 camperized school bus, (Gus the bus)
350 4speed 2 speed rear
64 GMC 950 "spare" bus 283? 4speed detroit locker
53 GMC 1ton dual wheel bus
78 GMC c25 short course off road race truck(son's truck)
355 th400 14 bolt (www.wheel2wheel.ca)
88 Peterbilt 379 longhood (hauls race truck)
62gmc910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:44 PM   #18
wrench_65

are the fuel sending units for the 65 30ohm or 90 ohm...gonna buy a fuel gauge since my dosnt work..
wrench_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:25 PM   #19
LILRED66
Account Suspended

The factory fuel sending unit is 0-30 ohms. Most of the aftermarket fuel gauges and sending units are 0-90 ohms.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:55 AM   #20
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Are you sure it's the gauge and not the sending unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench_65 View Post
are the fuel sending units for the 65 30ohm or 90 ohm...gonna buy a fuel gauge since my dosnt work..
Old 02-14-2010, 02:27 AM   #21
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I've been running an Autometer mechanical oil pressure gauge in the dash for years. I also accidentally fractured the plastic line at the back of the block during a manifold swap, and pumped several quarts of oil all over the engine in a matter of seconds. That was a learning experience, and soon after added the braided stainless hose they offer.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-3227/?rtype=10
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote