The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2009, 11:52 PM   #1
SC_67

Good buy or keep looking

i am wanting to do a frame off on a 67-68 C10, need something to do with a 454 in garage, cant think of anything better then a blower and put it in a C10/ i ran across this beauty in Alabama, the guy only wants 1800 for it and it looks like it need some work but im not to sure about how far gone it actually is. i know that the frame off will be a lot of work but the truck still seems to be in decent shape for its age and neglect. the wood bed is rotted out, doesnt run timing gear bad and need a carb rebuild. The cab seems to be solid, got one bad rust spot behind the seat, then some minor stuff up by the front rocker. the underside didnt look to bad, but let me know what yall think i have never dealt with the older C10's before.
Name:  DSCI0042.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  69.7 KB

Name:  DSCI0029.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  40.1 KB

Name:  DSCI0028.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  27.8 KB

Name:  DSCI0022.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  45.3 KB
SC_67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:55 PM   #2
OARNGESI

Re: Good buy or keep looking

I think its a desent price but if your gona do a frame off pay really good attention to the body panels and frame make sure it aint too bad
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:56 PM   #3
heavy71chevy

Right off the top of my head if I had to guess id say its cab supports need to be replaced as well as the rockers and prolly gonna have rust hidden in other spots..IMHO id offer 900 or so not running..but im more of a longbed kinda guy
heavy71chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:01 AM   #4
SC_67

this may seem like a stupid question but where do i need to look for bad rust, like common areas, and also can i check the cab supports with it together
Old 02-16-2009, 12:17 AM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Get under it and look for rust in the rockers(under the doors),the cab corners,Bed cross sills,floorpans.Look inside the cab in the vents and near the floor under them.Look over the visors and at the drip rail.Look on top of the dash just under the lip of the windsheild.Look at the fenders under the battery and behind the rear wheels.The trailing arms and some areas of the frame also rust on some.Those are the main rust areas I can think of,but someone may chime in with more.All of them are fixable but if many of them are bad the cost may be more than a new cab.I have always tryed to find the best body i could since bodywork gets expensive quick.Someone who is a bodyman may look for better mechanicals.You have to determine which parts of it you can and are willing to tackle.

My opinion is that $1800 is a bit high unless the body is in very good condition and the truck is all there.Much of it will need attention or replacement anyway since it's a 40 year old truck.You might also look thru the classifieds section of the BB to get some comparative pricing.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 02-16-2009 at 12:19 AM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:32 AM   #6
Roland

Hello! and welcome to the site. You have definitely found the right place if you plan on doing anything to these trucks. I don't have much to contribute, but these folks are a gold mine when you need info.

Again welcome! Join up and support the site - it will pay back a hundred times over.
Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:45 AM   #7
SC_67

the overall body is in decent shape, havent got down under it yet, i was think offer him between 1200-1500 for it, and thanks for the welcome. I can already tell the gold mine of knowledge this site provides
Old 02-16-2009, 01:07 AM   #8
jbristo67
resident oilfield trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_67 View Post
the overall body is in decent shape, havent got down under it yet, i was think offer him between 1200-1500 for it, and thanks for the welcome. I can already tell the gold mine of knowledge this site provides
Offer him a grand and go from there. Have a stopping point in your head though and be prepared to walk away. You might be surprised what you might get it for.

1986 Honda 70 Fourtrax

1991 Chevrolet K5 blazer 2wd

1982 Mastercraft Pro Star 190 Stars and Stripes

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe

2011 Nissan Armada

jbristo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:25 AM   #9
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I would start at $500-700 and go up if needed.You can't go down only up.If he really wants to sell he may come down quite a bit since there are more sellers than buyers right now.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:30 AM   #10
big_al_71

looks like a descent truck and not too bad from what I can see. Make your offer all he can say is no..
Good luck

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:47 AM   #11
SC_67

see thats the thing he is really wanting or needing to sell the truck, he is happy letting it sit and rot in his yard, the only thing he is using it for is a trash dump. I left him a note telling him i would buy but i am going to start at 1000, i know he paid 1800 for the truck.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:19 PM   #12
bamafrost

$1800 is too high. I paid $2400 for one slightly better than what his looks like and it had a running 305 w/aod tranny and an extra 700R that needed rebuilt. After 6 months of learning by trial and error (this board is XLNT!) I now know I paid much too much. Had to replace doors and fenders...and looking fos a better cab. You can spend $1500 or more just getting the lower 1/2 of these trucks de-rusted...and almost ALL of them have rust somewhere.

Offer him $750 in this economy. There are quite a few around. OR...buy a good frame and just start buying new metal and a good cab...that's what I should have done. Welcome to the board. Tom

'68 Rambler American 2 door post
Built 340/727/8.75 w 3.73 posi
'68 C10 shortie soon to have a 2.5/4 drop
and new Americans: 16" x 8" chrome IROC's
bamafrost is offline   Reply With Quote