The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
nightmare_56

56 stock suspension

i am looking for some input on the front suspension. i can not drive the truck right now. no engine. how does the stock suspension handle. this truck will be a daily driver and will be used as a truck hauling loads and a trailer at times.

can i make the stock suspension handel good? if so what do i need to do. the truck will be getting 4 wheel disk i would like to keep the stock suspension but make it handle good and stop

if not how are mustang II fronts on these trucks. or is there something better
nightmare_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:47 PM   #2
blackdiesel

Re: 56 stock suspension

never driven a stock suspension truck in the tri-5 body styles. So im no help there. But if it wasnt worth the upgrade, why does nearly everyone want a IFS?

That being said, i am building a frame for my '57 and i have installed the speedway motors MII front end under it. looks like its going to be a good setup. FYI, if you go with a MII, and you dont want it to be really, really... really low... DONT get the drop spindles! a few measurements and it looks like i will only have around 5" of ground clearance....
'57 2wd change
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=speedway
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
OrrieG

It rides like an old truck. I grew up in these trucks when they were new. I had a 57 in 1969 with 43 K miles. My current one had the stock axle for the first 8 years I had it. They are live sprung with crappy shocks. Manual steering gives you a work out on tight turns and parking. Kids loved going to the dump because the bumps would launch them off the spring loaded seat. Lots of lean in the corners. If anything is worn life gets interesting over 50 mph. Put on a loaded camper and you can make the drums smoke and turn red on long Idaho hills.

Other than that its fine.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:27 PM   #4
elcamino72

I have the stock suspension/steering and a big block engine ... it's a handful to say the least, but it's just like they would have done back in the '60's, sorta nostalgic. The IFS is cool, but remember it's only as good as the guy putting it under the truck. The stock suspension works, but as stated above, make sure all the parts are in A#1 shape and it is PROPERLY aligned with good tires and proper air pressure!!!
Old 02-17-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
ezekiel

I drove my '59 all over the place and it handled like an old grain truck. Excellent turning radius but still a grain truck.

In my not so humble opinion, the seat is considered an integral part of the suspension system!

You have to make sure to take off your ball cap when driving it over rough roads or else you could get a dent on the top of your head from that button on your hat!
ezekiel is offline   Reply With Quote