The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
primetime

power steering

how hard is it to swap in a power steering system? i have a 1977 swb with inline 6. i have not learned which inline 6 it is yet. seems that it could be a 250 or 292. but how difficult is it to install power steering? i feel like i'm driving a "duece-and-a-half".
1977 Chevy nova (first car/ first love)
primetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:34 AM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: power steering

tiy will need the power steering pump with the brackets and spacers for that and the other engine accessories the steering box and the lines to start. You will also need a different set of pulleys and the belts and the harmonic balancer pulleys will have to be changed. Its a heck of alot easier if you remove the radiator shroud. I do not remember but im sure someone else will chime in if you have to change the lower part of your steering column to fir the gear on the top of the steering box. ITs not hard its direct bolt up stuff, but it can be tricky and time consuming to line it all up correctly.

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:01 PM   #3
D13

First you need to know what L6. side covers (on passenger side of engine) are 4 1/2" on 250 and 6" on 292. C10 is 90% a 250 but check. Brackets do NOT interchange between them. Next, is your head and intake all one piece (hint -is there a removable mainfold between the carb and the valve cover, if there is only 1 casting then yours is 'integrated)'. Upper brackets do NOT interchange between them.

You will need a double groove balancer (probably already has one) and a double groove water pump pulley (probably doesn't have one) plus the correct brackets. Some set-ups use a double groove alternator pulley too but usually you can get aroun this (assuming you don't have AC or a smog pump). I'm not sure if a V8 pump will work or not, you'd have to check (the pulley location relative to the brackets must line up with the balancer and the location of the tube on the pump must clear the brackets). V8 brackets will NOT work, don't know about the pulleys. Then the hoses (cam be made by NAPA, be sure you have the correct outlet and inlet. Then a steering box and pitman arm (and there are 2 differnt hose threads possible at the box).

Best bet is to find out which motor you have then find a truck like yours to scavenge for parts.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:38 PM   #4
primetime

as far as the steering gear box goes, what years can i take from? i have access to a 72 c10 with power steering. 2wd same as my 77.
1977 Chevy nova (first car/ first love)
primetime is offline   Reply With Quote