The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
Baby John

Value of Frame off Restomod

I know this is a vague question, and I know there is really no way to properly value a vehicle like this, but I was sort of thinking yesterday. So far I've got around $6K tied up in this old truck and expect at least another $3K, or maybe more before we're "done".

If I had to guess, I would think that the most someone would pay for a really really nice and clean old truck, even one that had been restored from the frame up, would be around $5,000.00.

Maybe more for a true factory correct restoration but, not one with chrome wheels, and modified motor and transmission and custom interior and stuff...sort of a resto-rod if you will.

What do you guys think? Is there a reasonable market for these old trucks that fit in this resto-rod category? Or am I correct to think that there's no way I'll every actually sell this vehicle for what I've sunk into it?

Also...I really have no intent to sell...I'm just curious.

My son and I are resto-rodding a '72 GMC Stepside
Baby John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
dan42

Re: Value of Frame off Restomod

The way I look at this hobby is the same way some guys look at golfing or skiing. It is discretionary income that I can afford to use doing something I enjoy, without the expectation that it will ever come back. The answer being, no, you'll never sell it for what you have into it. That being said, if you have special skills (especially bodywork) I think you can probably turn a vehicle and make some money. But for the most part, the majority of trucks you see on the market today in that upper price range (10,000-20,000) have signifigantly more money invested in them then they are trying to sell them for.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:43 AM   #3
cdowns

the norm is to get back half or less that you pump into it
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby John View Post
.... am I correct to think that there's no way I'll every actually sell this vehicle for what I've sunk into it?
If that's the reason your doing it, you may as well stop now. As far as resto-mod, vs stock restored your better off with a slightly modified resto.

Based on your sig, I think you need to look at what you are gaining from the money spent. There is a lot of value in working with your son.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
If that's the reason your doing it, you may as well stop now.
Exactly... when people start to build hot rods, trucks, choppers, etc... and worry about what they could get out of the "end result", are just spinning their wheels. Barret-Jackson syndrome...

You have to build the vehicle for YOU, and not worry about what some shmuck will pay for it in the event you sell it. You will never get out of it (in cash) what you put in to it. But you will have a blast building the vehicle, and enjoy it when you're done.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:01 PM   #6
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

I've got mine all but down to the frame. It will be lowered, rodded, updated and bright orange when it's all done.

It will probably cost about $20k by the time it gets painted.

What will it be worth? It will be a one-off machine, built by my son and I that can't be purchased anywhere. Would someone pay $$ for it? maybe, though I'm sure nowhere near the dollars put into it, but who cares? It's not going to be for sale anyway. (Well, not at any reasonable price in any case... lol)
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
jeffro788

You should be able to recover your money from that, but everyone on here is right, you might as well not do it for the hope of flipping. About the only way to do that in a truck is a barn find or other origninal trucks that are immaculate and clean them up and hope the person you bought it from doesn't know what they have.
My truck is really not original as far as the drive train but the interior pretty much is. This is my first undertaking with an old vehicle and my dad has had them all his life and still has a '70 442 that he has had since '78. My truck has given us a lot to do together and we plan on doing more car shows and hopefully the HR Power Tour (I guess I get to haul luggage now). This truck is being built to what I want it to be and with all the comforts I want it to have. I honestly wouldn't take my money back for it or another $3k on top of it.
1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass 442 w-30 - original
jeffro788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:01 PM   #8
CARR33

I just bought a 67 swb fleetside for $13,000. It has issues, namely floor rust. I was told it had a 383 stroker motor, but is really a 350. It runs strong, has a m-21 four speed, and power disc. I never noticed that it didn't have an e brake until i got it home. Too excited i guess. Further investigation showed disc on the rear also. It really stops good. The only problem is that the rear bracket was welded to the axle and it looks like front style calipers. When i get done with it i'll probably have another $25,000 invested in it, but it will be what i want. And to me thats the name of the game.
I'm getting ready to advertise a 53 bel air pro street project vehicle that i've lost interest in. It has sat captive in a body shop for five years by a worthless individual who i've just found out has a four page sheet on previous law suits. He knows how to work the system and win. I've got $48.ooo invested. Gona just cut my losses and run.

Last edited by N2TRUX; 02-19-2010 at 11:48 PM.
CARR33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:10 PM   #9
Ackattack

My truck is pretty customized, and by the time it is actually "finished" I'll have nearly $30k in it. Reasonably I could see someone paying $15k-$20k for it, but I wouldn't sell it for less than $50k....but I didn't build it to sell, so I'm perfectly fine with that.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:16 PM   #10
Baby John

I kinda figured you guys were going to read this question wrong (or at least diffrently than I tried to ask it). I have no desire to sell, and I know the life lessons and all that and have so far had a blast with my son building it and intend to continue through till he's driving it to his little preppy rich boy school with all the other kids driving Mercedes and Beamers. I could care less whether or not I would take a hit on the sale cause "if" I were to ever sell it, I'm expecting it, but I'll admit my question may have aluded to that.

My real question was really just "how much do these old trucks sell for after they're all fixed up?" If I sink $10K into it and sell it for 1/2 then that's about right at the $5,000 that I had figured. But if I sink $20K into it and sell it for $5K then it's much less...again, it doesn't bother me, I was just curious. I supposed I could have just perused ebay, I just figured if anyone really knew, that you guys would.

My son and I are resto-rodding a '72 GMC Stepside
Baby John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:55 PM   #11
Fitz
Account Suspended

Check carsonline.com
most go between 14K & 24K some lower depending on condition but there arent many restomod trucks selling for Barrett Jackson prices.

What do you think Eric would sell the Silver Bullet for? I sure don't know. What would I pay for it? I don't know that either but I do know that I've probably spent what he did on my truck. But then, that truck is MINE!
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:14 PM   #12
COACHMEASON
Keep On Keepin' On

I purchased a "started" project approx 4 years ago...Just now getting it running and together...It was a long bed without the bed...So of course, I cut it down...over the last 4 years I have accumulated many parts, but very rarely will I pay full price for anything...Probably why it has taken me this long to get the parts I want...My goal is to keep it under $10,000 so if I do have to take a hit, it will be somewhat minimal...

Current Project ....In paint shop getting body/paint work done (Corvette Velocity Yellow)...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669
COACHMEASON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:41 PM   #13
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I notice no one above mentioned the labor except as a "labor of love".If you do all the work yourself and are good at it you may actually see most of your cash investment back(Meaning no labor costs) if you started with a decent truck to begin with and build only to DD staus.Otherwise your just paying for a hobby as stated above.The farther above DD you go the more you will lose.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #14
big_al_71

A properly built "restomod" will sell for mid 20' to mid 30's all day long. A purist would not be interested , there are many people that do not have that kind of cash to spend in a garage ornament, but like we say in the car business there is an ass for every seat. So if someone is selling something and it is priced correctly you will sell it the problem is that many ask way too high for what they are selling.As you can buy many trucks for around 8k-10k there are some of us that have that much in just the engine, or the paint job etc which puts some of our truck a step or two higher than that price range.
I have right around 22k on mine between parts/truck no labor and have been offered 25k while at a car show by a serious buyer that flashed a couple of grand as a deposit till the next business day. I have no interest in selling mine because it can not be replaced and I dont have any inerest to build another one.

Look at the following picts three trucks at three different price range...

1 mine Will not sell for less than 30k

2 My buddies will not sell for less than 75k

3 My buddies friend will not sell for less than 100k
Attached Images

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:27 PM   #15
johndawelder

My 67 was appraised at 40K,I have a lot less in it.I did all the work,except paint and body work.I traded a 78 monte carlo to my brother-in-law for paint & body.I built the truck from the ground up.It took me 5 yrs.It's got a 427ci,turbo 400 trans.I built the truck for ME.I was offered 30K for the truck at one of the rod runs in Pidgon Forge,TN.I could'nt sell it .It's part of me.I fell in love with these trucks in 67.I've built several trucks since,but none that I could'nt live without.I guess what I'm saying is,some of these trucks are a labor of love and it's dang hard to part with em'.
johndawelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #16
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
The blanket statement "You won't get your money back" isn't true. I do almost all of my own work and trade labor for what I can't do. I scrounge good parts and clean them up and paint them instead of buying new. The last two trucks I finished and sold I made money on. I am not bragging, just stating the facts, and I have all receipts to back it up. Both were abandoned projects that I bought and finished. I had $5,000 +130 hours in the '72 GMC 4x4 and sold it for $8,000. I had $9,000 +300 hours in the '71 Chevy 4x4 and sold it for $15,000. It just depends on how much work you have to farm out. I don't fall in love with any of my projects, except my '36 Ford Coupe that I have had since 1960. Any thing else is for sale... I just like working on them.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 02-19-2010 at 10:38 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:35 PM   #17
LMN8UR

Another way to look at it, I bought my '72 eight years ago for $1800. I have dreams of a frame off, but I'm to bust driving it!
I've rebuilt the motor, swapped a couple trannys along the way, tinkered with this and that. Maybe I've put another 5K through it.
Had I bought a new truck, I would have lost my $6800 just driving it off the lot, let alone putting 175K miles on it.

I could dig a big hole and push her in it and smile! Then I'd CRY
TKO-500 & 3.08:1 rear

I Love HEMI's, they're soft & chewy!
LMN8UR is offline   Reply With Quote