The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2010, 09:38 PM   #1
RuralRoute C-30

Rear cab & chassis Shock advice?

Was doing an inspection around the rear end today after the day job and noticed the right rear shock is rusted through in one spot on the upper housing. Seems so many here are wanting to drop/lower these trucks when I was researching the topic. Any advice on best shocks to just replace these older oem ones to make it either as new or better in hauling capacity? Not even sure what these were since they got painted with black at some point.

The goal is to make this as heavy a hauler and as road worthy as it should be for safety (and peace of mind) while retaining it as close to oem as possible with a touch of 'unique' in the details.

Thanks!
Mark

(if I would quit crawling around this darn truck and looking at all the details then this darn list would get shorter instead of longer!)

"Reality is just a hallucination brought on by lack of alcohol."
RuralRoute C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Rear cab & chassis Shock advice?

i like KYB or Gabriel shocks in my trucks...they arent as heavy as yours but i do use em as work horses

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:59 PM   #3
RuralRoute C-30

Thanks Bob,
I guess the question I am asking is: Are these shocks specific to a 1-ton or are they "just shocks"...new to the 1-ton concept vs the 1/2-3/4 tons. Brands help too as the last shocks I bought were a few years back for what was a sports car. How times and priorities have changed when my son was born!

Definitely was "educated" when I priced the tires today for the front! So I have learned there is a price for some parts specific to the c-30 GVW comparatively to others.

Still, I keep pricing a new 2010 1-ton cab & chassis with the dump bed and "so far" that makes this project's budget appear worth it!

(safety is always #1)

"Reality is just a hallucination brought on by lack of alcohol."
RuralRoute C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

in all honesty i have no clue whether they are one ton specific... i use the Napa store that is a real auto parts store as opposed to a chain store i find i do alot better there.

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote