The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2010, 10:27 PM   #1
pyroimpala

Installed new ignition switch, now truck won't start

Hey guys. Been searching around the site and came up with a couple things to try out but thought I'd throw this out there anyways and see what you think.

GF just bought an '84 c-10 last week. From what I can tell it's in great shape and damn near 100% stock and original, minus the new paint...

Anyways, the previous owner was having to use a screwdriver to start the truck because the little tabs on the outside of the ignition on the column had broken off, so you had nowhere to press your thumb and forefinger on when you try to turn the key.

Also, the truck had sat for a few months and the battery was dead.

So after jumping it off and starting it with a big flathead screwdriver, we got it home and started replacing things. Put in a new battery, new alternator, and new ignition switch.

Up until yesterday the truck would start fine with the screwdriver, but the ignition acted like it locked up and the screwdriver wouldn't work anymore.

The GF's dad was hammering on the ignition switch trying to get it to turn and couldn't get it.

Today I finally was able to get the steering wheel off and everything and swapped in the new ignition switch. Before putting everything back together I decided to try the new key and it turned all the way around but it wouldn't start. Everything comes on(buzzer/dash lights/radio etc) but the truck just won't get any power to the starter.

I just need to know what to look for next. What could her dad have possibly damaged while hammering on the old ignition switch? How does the mechanics of the switch work to make the truck start? Like the key turns and makes a connection with something inside the column to make a complete circuit?

Any help or insight you could give me guys, would greatly be appreciated. And calm her down!! lol

Great site, we've been frequenting it daily since she picked this thing up.
pyroimpala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:35 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: Installed new ignition switch, now truck won't start

Get under the dash theres a rod that runs down the column to push on the actual ignition switch. Im assuming you just replaced the lock cylinder. The electrical part of the switch is bolted on the top of the column under the dash and theres a rod the hooks into it. if the rod is out of place it wont work
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:37 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

heres a pic to point you in the right direction
Attached Images

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:56 PM   #4
spinem
haha, ford guys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
heres a pic to point you in the right direction
hahahaha we got a parts guyy!!!!

...... oldRusty has a good point, giving it was working until u messed with, id mess with the stuff u replaced.
spinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
pyroimpala

Anyone else have any ideas for what to look for?

I can see the rod move up and down when I turn the key, but could it be that it's not moving down far enough to hit the ignition switch?

I do know that when you turn the key to "start" it doesn't come back to the "run" position by itself like it should. And it's hard to turn it backwards into the "acc" position.

Does anyone have an exploded view of a steering column? I'd like to see how this works without having to tear this one all apart. LOL

Also have another question. In this photo, what is the nipple looking thing on the steering column in between the 11 and 12 o clock positions? The one on her truck is pushed way down in the steering column and the one here appears to be poking out some.

Attachment 445806
Old 02-20-2010, 12:03 PM   #6
cableguy0

Take off the ignition switch from the column the rod is most likely out of place.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:03 PM   #7
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

that silver nipple is the lock for the steering column that prevents the steering wheel from turning when you have the key out

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:33 PM   #8
pyroimpala

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
that silver nipple is the lock for the steering column that prevents the steering wheel from turning when you have the key out
So if it's pushed way down into the column then the steering wheel won't lock with the key out?
Old 02-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #9
cableguy0

That pin should move with the key. It should pop up when you turn the key off to engage the lock plate.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:19 PM   #10
pyroimpala

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
That pin should move with the key. It should pop up when you turn the key off to engage the lock plate.
No, that thing doesn't move at all. When turning the key, you can see the actuator rod for the ignition switch moving back and forth, but that little button thing for the steering wheel lock doesn't move. It stays pressed down into the column.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:40 PM   #11
cableguy0

I would suspect you have stuff broken inside the column. They cant handle being beat on. Thats why gm vehicles were so easy to steal for so many years. take 2 minutes to destroy the column and drive away.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:40 PM   #12
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I have a tight tilt column with keys for $75 if you need it. The column is in Desoto, but I live in north Dallas.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:02 PM   #13
pyroimpala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
I have a tight tilt column with keys for $75 if you need it. The column is in Desoto, but I live in north Dallas.
Thanks a lot for the offer but it's working now. She had it towed up to a shop and they figured it out. The rod had jumped over a couple teeth.

Funny thing, this truck came from Desoto. Ever see an '84 SWB C-10 running around? Kind of a burnt orange/copper color?