The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
jocko

Towing question

Good evening all - got a quick question for someone out there that may have done this before - I'm looking at buying a 55 1st series 3100. Decent old truck - but I have a minor problem - am in the military and move pretty often. Although I've rented a U-Haul car hauler several times before and dragged a 65 Impala big block car all over the country with no problems (except for that one overheat in Needles...) with my 2001 Chev Silverado 4x4 (only a 5.3L V8 1500 though) - I'm wondering if my Silverado is gonna be able to hack towing a trailer with a heavy 55 1st series 3100 on the trailer... My truck has a Reese hitch, so not worried about the hitch itself, more the Z71's ability to hack it. Realize will probably take the south route around the Rockies.

Unfortunately, the cost of shipping it back and forth across the country as I move around will rapidly exceed the total cost of the vehicle - so this will be a factor in whether or not I buy this thing.

Appreciate any feedback on any experience anyone may have had towing an old half-ton 55 1st series 3100 with a new half ton (2001) Z71. Seems to me the weight difference between a 65 Impala and the 55 chev truck is fairly significant - close to 800 lbs or so. Thoughts?

Thanks!
- Jocko
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #2
Steve@OldSub.com
Cancer Survivor in the making.

Re: Towing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Seems to me the weight difference between a 65 Impala and the 55 chev truck is fairly significant - close to 800 lbs or so. Thoughts?
I don't know what your Impala weighs, but if the difference is 800 pounds its because the Impala weighs that much more than the pickup.

The curb weght of a stock 3100 is less than 3,300 pounds. I know your Impala weighs far more than 2,500 pounds...

I would bet that big block Impala is close to 4,000 pounds. I owned one years ago but don't recall the weight. It was not a light car.

Steve@OldSub.com
OldSub.com . MaxwellGarage.com . OldGasTowRigs.com
Steve@OldSub.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
jocko

AH! Exactly what I was looking for - thanks very much - I agree, should not be an issue if it's 3300 lbs for the truck - my impala weighed in right at 4000lbs. For some reason, I had 4800 lbs stuck in my head for the '55 3100 - but now that I think of it - I probably had that number in my head from the placard on the door - but I think that was just the GVWR, not curb weight now that I think of it. Good news, now I won't go broke shipping it!
Thanks very much.
Jocko
Old 02-22-2010, 09:01 PM   #4
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

It's not like you're towing it with a Ferd!

I've towed severa ADs with a Trailblazer!! His '54 is on an S10 frame but the 327 is the same weight as a 235 pretty much so I doubt it's far off. A 1 ton panel truck weighs in at 4410 DRY and THAT is a fun haul, I use my 3500 dually for that!

Good score, by the way.
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:07 PM   #5
jocko

Thanks Dan - yeah, I'm pretty pleased with the find - appears nice shape in the detailed pics i got - but going to see it in person this weekend. Pretty sure I'll buy it - but want to look at the extent of the rust in the cowl area (ref my other thread on here tonight) - current owner is being a little shy about elaborating on that, but he hinted at "rust in the usual places" and some pics show some pretty severe bubbling in the paint aft of the front fenders in the lower cowl area. But unless the rust is deep and in the cab supports, the price is still pretty right. If it's not much more than surface rust, then it is a VERY good deal... I'm hoping. As for the towing, I got sidetracked on the GVWR vs. curb weight - should have known not much could weigh more than my impala (except that 1 ton you mentioned..)
Thanks and take care,
-jocko
Old 02-22-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
pugs

well you can just bring it north here to me and ill take care of it instead of towing it across the counrty
Old 02-22-2010, 09:54 PM   #7
jocko

thanks for the offer, but i'll have to think about that one...