The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2010, 10:11 PM   #1
Leviticus
Shake and Bake!

Having some issues with cooling fan clearance. Recommendations?

Hey guys,

So I finished installing my GM Performance Products serpentine kit on my 72 C10 with a 350. The issue I am having is I can't get the fan shroud back in because the water pump (Long Pump) sticks out too far. I may be able to trim it but would prefer not to.

I was going to go with a flex fan, but without the shroud I am worried it won't be efficient enough. So I started looking into doing an electric fan and was looking at the Taurus fan setup, but I only have about 4.5 or a little under inches between the radiator and the front face of the water pump pulley. And the guy who installed his says it was about 5.5 inches deep.

So I am trying to figure out which way to go without breaking the bank. Anybody else run a different electric fan that fits that's not really pricey?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help.

"You are remembered for the rules you break."
General Douglas MacArthur

"Support Our Troops And The NRA"
Leviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:45 PM   #2
Pont406

Re: Having some issues with cooling fan clearance. Recommendations?

Go to a local pick-a-part and look for late 4 gen F-body. They have nice dual fans or you can get it new at rock auto. I have one in my c10.
Pont406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:54 PM   #3
Mike C

On the Jimmy I put the fan shroud on first, then push it up to the motor and put the fan on. Then put the belts on last, this might work for you,even installing the water pump in through the front of the shroud and possibly putting the radiator in last.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:16 PM   #4
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

You either have to trim the shroud or go electric. I trimmed my then, went electric with a mark VII.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:35 PM   #5
MT71c-10
Too many toys,not enough money

I trimmed the bottom of my shroud about 1/2", no problems. You can't see it, and it doesn't take off much.

I was more worried about the short clearance from the shroud to the equipment. Have had no problems.

I am running a Felx-lite fan, with the shroud.FWIW..

Last edited by MT71c-10; 02-21-2010 at 11:38 PM.
MT71c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:15 PM   #6
Leviticus
Shake and Bake!

How many CFM for electric cooling fan?

Hey guys,

Did Serpentine install and am short on space between the new accessories and the radiator. I found some electric fans that will fit but have some questions on acceptable CFM's.

I can run a single 16" 1400 CFM, or dual 12" at 800 CFM each, I am not going to be running a shroud right now because 1: I cant get my stock one back in without trimming it and then it sits really close to all of my new accessories and I prefer to be able to see all my new stuff .

And 2: I don't want to spend more $ right now after dropping the $$ on the serpentine install. Will one of these work or should I keep looking for more CFM's. Just trying to get this thing done and am trying to avoid waiting another week for parts to show up.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
msgross

Re: How many CFM for electric cooling fan?

http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalo...oducts_id=3778

relays and everything...
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:13 PM   #8
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviticus View Post
I can run a single 16" 1400 CFM, or dual 12" at 800 CFM each, I am not going to be running a shroud right now because 1: I cant get my stock one back in without trimming it and then it sits really close to all of my new accessories and I prefer to be able to see all my new stuff .
I'm running A/C and that means dual 12in fans. One switched by the trinary safety switch on the A/C high side line, the other switched by the block sender. Fan size is partially determined by the radiator you're running (more rows need less airflow) and engine size. The single 16 will work fine if you don't have A/C and the dual 12in fan set-up is more than enough for my 572 in the Tucson in the summer when temps can get to 110 or 115!
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
Leviticus
Shake and Bake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
I'm running A/C and that means dual 12in fans. One switched by the trinary safety switch on the A/C high side line, the other switched by the block sender. Fan size is partially determined by the radiator you're running (more rows need less airflow) and engine size. The single 16 will work fine if you don't have A/C and the dual 12in fan set-up is more than enough for my 572 in the Tucson in the summer when temps can get to 110 or 115!

Yeah, I went with the single 16" and it seems to be working fine so far. I let it idle for quite a while and on my gauge it was running between 185-192. Seems good to me. Once moving it shuts off. I got the relay/adjustable controller and fan for about $100, so I can't complain. It works and looks good for now, I will get something a little more fancy when I can justify spending the coin.

Thanks for the help!

Old 02-22-2010, 11:56 PM   #10
grs

I cut my shroud in half. I made a bracket to hold the two pieces together. I had to make sure the small bolts did not touch the radiator. Now I can take the top of shroud off to work on the front of the engine.
Attached Images

grs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:15 AM   #11
Leviticus
Shake and Bake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grs View Post
I cut my shroud in half. I made a bracket to hold the two pieces together. I had to make sure the small bolts did not touch the radiator. Now I can take the top of shroud off to work on the front of the engine.
Hey, that's pretty slick. Nice work. I ended up going with an 16" electric fan and controller. It seems to be working out good so far, and looks nice. stays right around 185-192.