The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2010, 07:36 PM   #1
jocko

oh yeah - rusty cowls too

One more thing - that 55 1st series truck has some rust in the lower cowls - just behind where the back of the front fenders meet the body - so I'm expecting the rust inside the cowls to be fairly messy - what I see now is just on pictures sent by the owner showing through the existing (scarily fresh) paint job. Going to inspect in person this weekend - but if it's bad, just wondering what you may have had experience with as far as correcting these rusty spots - and what to avoid (for instance, if front cab supports rusted, etc - or inner kick panel, etc).

New to trucks this old, been a car guy most my life - appreciate any insight in the difficulty of fixing these areas depending on how bad it really is and availability of patch panels, replacement cowl sheetmetal, etc - for when I see it in person.

Thanks,
Jocko
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Re: oh yeah - rusty cowls too

You can buy just about every patch part for one of these trucks. The '54/55S1 are a little harder when it comes to a windshield. Shipping often runs more than the glass!
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
jocko

excellent - thanks - good to know. I've seen just most everything I could imagine in LMC and Classic Industries, etc - but haven't exactly looked for things like cab supports, etc - I have found cowl and inner kick panel sheet metal though, so that is encouraging. Am sure there are many other suppliers too from what I can tell. I'm a little new to the 47-55 era of trucks - have been mostly cars and mid-sixties C10s so far, but really like the advanced design series, especially 54-55's. Have been looking long and hard for a decent 55 1st series (over a 54) so I could get one that cam with an open driveline vice the torque tube. I'm going to keep it mostly stock with the exception of maybe a dual quad 283 out of an old 57 vette (or some similar set-up) even considering a mid 60s Rochester FI set-up to make it unique. But other than a potential trans/eng swap, will be dead bone stock.
Thanks again Dan,
Jocko
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:57 AM   #4
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Watch engine to steering box clearance with the V8.

If you are updating the drivetrain that much, you'll have an open driveline and need a new driveshaft so why not get a Camaro rear end and be able to get a '54 or '55?

My affair started 33 years ago when my mom brought home a '54 when I was 8 years old. That was one loud, rough, loud, truck. Did I mention it was loud? Can you hear me? Is this thing on?? I have what's left of it back. The bed and grill are on my son's truck. I just passed the tailgate on to another guy for his build. And I've got the dash and gauges here for later use.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:58 AM   #5
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Oh, make sure you've got a glove box door. The dashes are different and that is one thing that the '54/55.1 are harder to find for.