The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2003, 07:34 AM   #1
jaguar

73 chevy 350 starter problem

Hi Group,
I need help with my starter prob, starter gear makes a horrendous crunching noise when engaged, I replaced the ring gear but still does it. Gone thru 3 starters, one broke the nose. Seems to be a wrong mesh with the ring gear, the mounting bolts seem sloppy but I can't figure out how to set the correct meshing. Any advice much appreciated.
Thanks,
Max
Old 05-05-2003, 08:05 AM   #2
powder
the ring around my finger

starter

iwas having the same problem so this old man told me to use a big block starter iand it fixed the problem
powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 09:28 AM   #3
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

breaking nose cones sounds like the starter is too tight(gear clearance), you need to shim it. if the bolts feel loose,or are bent, you should replace them, & be sure the front strap is on the starter. To check clearance, you should be able to slide a 1/8" drill bit between the OD of the flex plate, & the armature shaft on the starter(not loose, but not tight. Add shims under both bolts to gain clearance, & under the outside bolt only to tighten the clearance(cut the shim in 1/2 for this, as packed, they will go under both bolts). Shims & bolts should be available on the help rack at your local parts store. Good luck,crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 10:11 AM   #4
tom hand
CCRider

Ah I feel your pain. I had a 73 that did the same thing. Here's the story I got from the local starter rebuild shop. Somewhere around 72-73 Chevy machined a bunch of 350 blocks wrong on the starter pad. To correct the problem they machined starter noses to fit these blocks. Once the starter is replaced that original nose is gone and the starter eating starts. I will bet the starter is too far away. Go to a starter rebuild shop and see if you can find someone who knows about this. The guy that told me this handed me a nose that solved the problem right out of the box with no shims. I have heard of people taking a large file to the mounting pad on the nose with good results.

Last edited by tom hand; 05-05-2003 at 12:29 PM.
tom hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 10:37 AM   #5
andyr354

My 70 has the problem of the starter being to far away. It uses the ofset starter bolts, but the block is drilled for both.
It was the ofset hole that was drilled in the wrong spot. So what I did was buy a gear reduction starter that is made to use the two inline bolt holes (it has four holes in the mounting pad so it will work with either size flywheel). Problem solved.

Maybe that will work for you. I went through a starter about every 4 or 5 months before that breaking the nose off. Works great and cranks quiet now.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:41 AM   #6
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

One of the guys posted this link in eng & drive train, on checking/setting starter clearance http://macc.chevelles.net/starter.htm gm did have a problem with machining on the bottom of the blocks,as Tom has mentioned, & I have also seen a bunch of starters that were too loose........do replace the bolts if in doubt, & use the front support strap to keep things tight. crazy L
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 12:31 AM   #7
jaguar

reply from jaguar re starter prob

Thanks much guys for your fast responses,
this info will help me solve it finally.
Great group,
thanks again,

Max