The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2010, 01:01 AM   #1
MrTucker

How are is a 1953 GMC with a hydramatic?

I know, I know - USE THE SEARCH NEWBIE! But I feel this site is more directed towards hot rods than factory restorations...no offense, I love hot rods.

I've searched and searched and found some threads but they're all at least a year old. Plus, I'm looking for some additional info I've had trouble finding...

I was given a 1953 GMC 1/2 ton long bed that is 99% original, with a 228 and a hydramatic tranny. The truck was bought new in 1953 by my wife's great-grandfather and it's been in the family ever since. After he died his daughter took ownership, now I own it - so technically I'm the 3rd owner.

My original plan was to slam it, make it a short bed, do the "typical" 350 sbc / 700R4, with a MII and a 4 link hot rod treatment. But I've since discovered this is a pretty rare truck. I'd really hate to chop it up and make "another" 47-53 Chevy/GMC hotrod, considering how rare it is, and how much family history it has. There are plenty of AD trucks out there to hot rod.

So how rare are these trucks? How many '53 1/2 ton long beds were made with hydramatics?

Steve - I'd love for you're input on this...as with my other thread...

Here's a link to a bunch of pictures and the entire story... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vb...thread.php?p=3374649
MrTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: How are is a 1953 GMC with a hydramatic?

My family had a 57 bus we converted into a camper/hunting rig in the 70's. It had a 292/hydro combination. Don't know what the rear end ration was but top speed was 45 in the bus. In lowest range it would climb a tree, many times we drove it through 1'-2' or snow and ice to get into or out of eastern Oregon hunting places.

Good heavy tough transmission, were actually used as drag transmissions in the 60's. I remember seeing a previous post that parts for rebuilding them were hard to get and expensive.

I am taking the same tactic on my 64 Malibu. It is an original survivor and will be restored to daily driver stock after I get the truck done. I figure I can find plenty of modified shells to build a rod out of.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
50MOTORHEAD

I am sorry ,but I can't address the question about the trans but I can say that I think that it is a good idea to keep that old truck stock.That truck is a member of the family.It has worked hard to give good service. I think that you owe it to the Grandfather and the vehicle,to restore it to what it once was.The only things that I hot rod anymore are vehicles that are already modified too far from stock.
You don't see too many old stock trucks anymore because they are all getting the 'bellybutton' (everybody has one ) treatment.
I think that in an effort to be different,,,everyone has done the same thing.
Go to a truck show and how many trucks do you see with IFS,bagged,
20"wheels,all new billett insert with modern gauges,bucket seats,shaved,wood beds(that you wouldn't even want to walk on,bla-bla-bla.
Same-same-same. Keep it stock and if anyone has any complaints,tell em to call the factory,cause that's the way they designed it.
Good luck with your truck and don't hesitate to be different ,keep it stock.That in itself,is rare.-KB
50MOTORHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
MrTucker

Here's what I've found on another site...clicky here
Old 02-24-2010, 04:25 PM   #5
dan42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MOTORHEAD View Post
I am sorry ,but I can't address the question about the trans but I can say that I think that it is a good idea to keep that old truck stock.That truck is a member of the family.It has worked hard to give good service. I think that you owe it to the Grandfather and the vehicle,to restore it to what it once was.The only things that I hot rod anymore are vehicles that are already modified too far from stock.
You don't see too many old stock trucks anymore because they are all getting the 'bellybutton' (everybody has one ) treatment.
I think that in an effort to be different,,,everyone has done the same thing.
Go to a truck show and how many trucks do you see with IFS,bagged,
20"wheels,all new billett insert with modern gauges,bucket seats,shaved,wood beds(that you wouldn't even want to walk on,bla-bla-bla.
Same-same-same. Keep it stock and if anyone has any complaints,tell em to call the factory,cause that's the way they designed it.
Good luck with your truck and don't hesitate to be different ,keep it stock.That in itself,is rare.-KB
X2 - If you inherited it, you don't have much in it - so it would be really a meaningful thing to do, to keep it as is (or as close to as is) for the next generation. IMO a much nicer truck anyways.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:41 PM   #6
MrTucker

The question of "what to do with it" has definitely been solved! I was going back and forth between doing a restoration and building a hot rod. I love stock trucks and heavily modified trucks, so I was having a hard time deciding - until I discovered how rare this truck is. If this were just another Chevy with a 235 and a 3 or 4 speed - then there would be no question...I'd hot rod it, and it would be "just another" AD truck with the 'typical' V8/IFS/4link/etc...

But this truck is definitely getting the factory restoration treatment! Besides - how many stock 47-53 GMC's are even on this board? nuff said...
Old 02-25-2010, 12:24 AM   #7
Steve@OldSub.com
Cancer Survivor in the making.

I applaud your decision.

Steve@OldSub.com
OldSub.com . MaxwellGarage.com . OldGasTowRigs.com
Steve@OldSub.com is offline   Reply With Quote