The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
palposity

86 K 20 Electrical Issue

Hey folks,

I'm looking for a little help here. I recently replaced the engine in my 1986 K20 Plow truck and every since I've had an issue where everything electrical in the truck intermittently flashes off then back on...headlights, heater, everything. I've had issues with dim dashlights and poor alternator charge (according to ATL Meter--changed alternator--no difference) which I've wondered if they were a ground issue, but now the electrical problems are driving me crazy. Did I miss a ground when replacing the engine? The truck is getting pretty rusty underneath so I'm fully expecting ground problems....but if you can give me some tips as to where that would be great!

Thanks!

Charlie
Project #1 "Pops"--1980 Chevrolet Scottsdale C10 3rd Generation in the same original owner family. GOAL: Restore to "almost" original.
View Project Pops HERE

Project #2 "Cletus"--1986 Chevy K20 4.10 Gear Ratio GOAL: Restore into a heavy duty work/plow rig
View Project Cletus HERE - SOLD

DD--2008 Duramax CCSB
palposity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
wheels67

Re: 86 K 20 Electrical Issue

def a ground strap is loose or corroded. theres one from the firewall to the back of cylider head. altho you can put it wherever is available. And you have an engine to frame strap. Use a grinder to clean the spots where wires attach. Any auto parts stores will have the metal straps so getting some new ones is a cood idea.

Is your battery tied down well and ground wire solid......
wheels67 is offline   Reply With Quote