The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2003, 02:25 PM   #1
cochino12
It followed me home?

What Can I Do/

So I just had a new crate motor installed about a month ago by the a shop the dealership recomended. Since getting my truck back I have had to take it back 6 times to have things fixed and redone the way they were requested to be done. I paid extra to have the wiring cleaned up and everything perfect. This weekend I was driving and my truck and it started pouring trans. fluid everywhere. I haven't had a chance to look at it but if is something this shop did I want them to pay to have it fixed. The owner of the shop told me he no longer wanted my business after picking up my truck last time because I refused to pay addional labor charges for there original mess ups. What would you guys do?
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 02:31 PM   #2
PHOENIX

Take it to another shop and have them give you an estimate.
Also if they think it was caused by the last work completed have them put their opinion in writing. Then take it back tot he original guy and tell him you are having the work done somewhere else as you dont want business with him any longer either. Tell him what the cost is and ask him for a check or for him to pay the bill. If he refuses tell him you'll see him in court. Then take him to small claims to get your money back. Dont bother taking him to court if you dont think you can get a judge to believe you over him. Take proof of the work hes done and anything else you can find that will help your case if it comes down to it.
Good Luck!
Old 05-05-2003, 05:01 PM   #3
Razorback_Fan

Also report them to the Better Business Bureau

Want a free xbox 360 elite go here to see how http://geocities.com/razorbackfan90/
Razorback_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 07:42 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

iwould do everything those guys said and report them to the state attorney general and whomever licenses them in your state and town. I would also write letters to any organizations related to the trade whos badges orlogos they display.
Finally i would threaten the guy that you will make literaure about all his screw ups and threaten to stand outside his shop handing it out to potential customers if ya look serious enough usually the guy will work for ya lol but hey thats my Brooklyn Attitude lol

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 09:05 PM   #5
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Bob,

the last part of what you just suggested would probably result in an ass whipping around these parts. Either the owner or the customer, whoever is the toughest.

This is very tough call. To tell you the truth, by the time it's all said and done, it's going to be your word against his. If you take him to small claims court, you will need proof of everything he had to fix after not doing it right the first time. I bet you have no prove or any witnesses of this, right?

So, next he says, things went wrong that wasn't his fault, but he fixed them anyway trying to make you happy. Trying to be the good guy he wishes he could be.

So finally, in the end, there will probably not be a lot to go on. First thing I would do, before he ever laid another hand on it is take it to a well known, reputable mechanic, and let them go over his work. Make sure they write down everything that's not right, but with his work only. Ask them if he'll fix the other guys mistakes, if you pay him. Some will, some won't touch it. I know being a Carpenter, I hate to fix someone else's mess.

Anyway, you are going to need proof. This is the best defense you could have.

If all else fails, you could kick his ass, if you can. This won't get the truck fixed, and it sure won't gain you any money. Heck, it may end up costing you some, but damn, in a case like this, it would be worth, right?

Good luck and keep us informed on how it turns out.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 10:37 AM   #6
alf4444

What i am wondering is why was the tranny was messed with to put your motor in, or did they pull the tranny too. I guess they could have poked a hole in the pan with a jack if they had to jog the tranny around to get it to line up with the motor. Anyway it sucks, i had been going to the same mechanic for years, he did mostly high performance stuff and did a great job but when i asked them to do some work to my wifes 92 pontiac sunbird they screwed it all up. One thing you and hopefully your mechanic should know is in that type of business word of mouth is everything. How often do you hear or see T.V. or radio ads for mechanics, hardly ever unless its a nationwide chain. All there business depends on good word of mouth. Maybe you should post his name and business so we can all avoid his service.

73 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4

96 Chevy 1500 STD Cab Shortbed Z71

Owner of WickedWolfRC.com
alf4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 07:31 PM   #7
boataddict26

Yea, there is a performance shop near where I live. They do all kinds of custom work but ask them to put a new 302 in your F**d and see what happens. They said it was brand new but any body could glance at it and tell it was old. It blew up a week later. Luckily they fixed the problem. They took it out and put in a new one without a fight. Maybe when you confront this man he will do the same.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:43 PM   #8
BillGent
Pretty But Evil Doggy Woggy.

I've had good luck with the Better Busines Bureau. All you need is a phone number to look up a business on their website www.bbb.com Businesses usually HATE the BBB (if they arent a member) because the paperwork is a *itch and if the complaint is ignored it gets written up against the business.
For Future reference, if you are a member of AAA (American Automobile Association) and you go to a shop that they recommend, they will arbitrate any work that may not be satisfactory. Good Luck! I know how frustrating this can be.
BillGent is offline   Reply With Quote