The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2010, 12:10 PM   #26
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: I don't know why I bother...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa_snowman View Post
here is a good one for you to add to the list.. severl years ago i went into a Checker auto parts store in Tucson, Az. I ask about a seal for the dash a/c ball outlets in my '67 Chevy CST. The person at the counter told me that truck never came with a/c. After telling him they did and him insisting they didn't i invited him outside to look at my truck. He was dumbfounded but still coudn't find the part.
I would not have expected an auto parts store like Checkers to have seals for your a/c balls in the first place. However, the dude in the store demonstrated that they do have to hire off of the streets to get help. It is usually due to the wages that they pay---the knowledgable want more than what a parts counter guy gets.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:57 PM   #27
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

welcome to the dumbing of society... the computer, is very good and handy but they do not teach people anymore to go the old fashioned way and look up things in books.. if its not on the computer with the limited resources alot of auto parts stores have ( THEIR CATALOGUE) then it isnt out there... Im glad i was raised in the era when you had to actually go to a library open a dozen books or so and get the information you need to do what you need to do.... im still not afraid to do that kind of thing...

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:16 PM   #28
Camaro_nut2001
Chevy Lover Till The End.

This is exactly why I deal with one parts store when it comes to engines, brakes etc.. I have dealt with this little store for quite a few years and I know everyone that works there (3 people). They all know that what i'm working on does not come from the factory that way except my two dd and they know both of them. The only time I go to Auto Zone, Advance etc.. is if they have a sale on Mobil One oil or Anti-freeze. I can walk in and ask for a set of plugs for a Big Block and all they say is little or big plug as they know I don't mess with anything but Chevy's. If they don't have the part I need they can have it by morning. They don't sell cheap no brand anything and they carry my Wix filter's. There are still a few real part's stores around and when you find one stick with it as when they get to know you they will go out of there way to take care of you.
1968 Chevrolet Impala Sport Coupe - 327/350hp, TH400, all original.
Members I've met: BamaBaxter,

My Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=500359
Camaro_nut2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:47 PM   #29
Smokeshow_1984

Camaro nut, I know exactly what you mean. My local shop is about 25minutes away. worth the drive every time. Everyone is on a first name basis, they have books, not computers, and, I get a 50% or more discount with my account. Call them on the phone, and they know who I am. Its a wonderfull thing.
Smokeshow_1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:37 PM   #30
big10ratrod77

yea i feel your pain to i went to the carquest in town last year i was gonna get a thermostat of my truck. well walked in and the guy workin the counter was a freind of my dads whom he had worked with a few years back as a parts man at john deere. well he asked me everything under the sun bout the truck, what kinda shift knob, how many holes in the bed... ya kno, that was a 15 min ordeal. well the guy says nope we aint got one. i came in later that day and got another person to help me he went back looked on the shelf and there it was. i was out in like 2 mins max. i found out later that nite that my dads freind had always been like that so now when i need parts i go to the other counter not his lol
77 chevy BIG DOOLEY 454/sm-465/14 bolt 4.10s "fully loaded"
73 plymouth duster 225 slant six/230 3 speed/8 1/4 trying to acheve 300 horse six http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3135091
'77 chevy trucks. built to stay tough.
life is short build a hot rod

Last edited by big10ratrod77; 02-28-2010 at 07:38 PM.
big10ratrod77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #31
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Talking Re: I don't know why I bother...

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiders3581 View Post
Auto zone and napa allow you too look up your own parts before you even walk in the door.
Yep your right and iv done that one better and hit that nifty little print button and then taken the coppy in and handed it to Jr. behind the counter and said id like one of these please and he still said I NEED TO KNOW THE YR,MK, MOD, OF THE CAR! And i say OK but the P/N is right there and at the top of the sheet is all the vehicle info and he says it to me AGAIN I NEED THE YR,MK,....... i just looked at him and .

So basiclly your wrong cuz there is now fix for stupid!
And when i say stupid i mean the parts kid not you.lol

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:03 PM   #32
rare86
Extended cab fanatic

I had an 83 GMC crewcab dually that I needed to replace the u joints on. I pulled one off, when to AZ, and told the kids what it was off of. The first one he brought out had to have been for a Toyota or something, It would almost fit in the cap of the one I pulled off. He looked again, and brought out another one. It was a little bit bigger, but still no where near what I had. He looked again, and then informed me that the u joint I had did not come off of the truck I was asking for it for. I told him I just pulled it off of an all original truck, and he said someone must have changed the drive shaft. I didnt say anything, I just thanked him, and walked out. I drove up the street to a mom and pop type auto store, the guy looked at the u joint, TOLD ME WHAT IT FIT, and went and got it off of the shelf without even looking for a part number. I really encourage everyone to fin the no name brand autopart stores in your area and use them. The parts are better, not more expensive, and the people know what they are doing, and take pride in it. They have to, if they dont sell parts, they cant keep the lights on.

Last edited by rare86; 02-28-2010 at 10:04 PM.
rare86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:30 PM   #33
Irish's_79_Step

I wish. All our good stores around have been closed out so i have to go to one of those stores... I have to go through it every time and like the rest most of the time it doesnt matter.
Irish's_79_Step is offline   Reply With Quote