The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
BATurbo

MPFI fuel pump compatible gas tank

I'm in the process of relocating the in-cab fuel tank to a rear mount suburban-style fuel tank in my 70 shortbox. Does anyone know of an in-tank, MPFI capable fuel pump (30-90 psi capable), that will fit into the stock fuel sender location? I'm working towards an LS engine upgrade in the near future, but will probably get the truck running with a carburated small block in the meantime. I'd like to start out using the stock fuel sender and then upgrade to the MPFI pump. Any info is appreciated. TIA!!
BATurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:23 PM   #2
Richard8971
Still livin the "dream" in '54

Re: MPFI fuel pump compatible gas tank

TTT. Hopefully someone will be able to help you with this one.

D

My '67 stepper "Tangerine Dream"

"Anything worth doing is worth doing right" James Dean

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo
Richard8971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
junkman

you could always just use a high pressure inline later on when you go efi. Most efi tanks I've seen have a much larger mounting plate than the carb style. You could find you a donor tank and cut the mounting flange out and weld it to yours if you wanted to go through the trouble.
junkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:50 AM   #4
lofly'a

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman View Post
you could always just use a high pressure inline later on when you go efi. Most efi tanks I've seen have a much larger mounting plate than the carb style. You could find you a donor tank and cut the mounting flange out and weld it to yours if you wanted to go through the trouble.
i have thought about this also in my planning for an LS engine swap, but am concerned about fuel starvation when using a tank without baffles. i hope others with more tested experience will chime in. talked to a guy that used his in-cab tank, and inline pump for a LS conversion and he said he had to keep it over 1/4 full or it would starve when cornering (no baffles). i have been searching for a stock FI tank that would fit to do my conversion, and have this much info so far. a FI tank from a 88-91 full size blazer will work, but you'll need to get the correct in-tank pump for MPFI engines. Member "Ackattack" used a 99-02 Camaro SS poly tank in his truck that tucks nice and dose'nt cost an arm and a leg.
-2003 YUKON (Wife's)
-71 gmc swb fleet (current project, gonna shave everything, bags, stuff w/ 20's, gen III powertrain)
-48 3100 SWB - 12/31/23 LONG TERM Project
lofly'a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:19 AM   #5
junkman

I have completed/helped on 5 or 6 ls swaps now, 4 are just using the regular ol tank with an inline pump and been fine. I've read some tying the return right back in before the pump so you have a constant feed supplying the pump, instead of back to the tank as a thought to prevent that. Or if you are going drag racing or corner carving just make sure you have at least 1/4 tank of gas. a narrower deep tank I can't really see it being a problem, something like a 69 camaro tank probably would. I put a jeep cj tank under my 69, they are a small square tank that I believe you can get a efi pump assembly for it.
junkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:29 AM   #6
Thealien

Here is a picture of what this guy did to help prevent fuel starvation.

It can be found in
THIS THREAD

which can be found in the builds section of my LS swap thread in my signature.
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:24 PM   #7
BATurbo

Thanks for the info provided fellas. I've been doing some further looking and I think I'm gonna try a fuel tank out of a 95' Tahoe. The dimensions are approximately 30x24x14 - (30 gallons), that should just slip in between the rear rails behind the rear axle. I found an OEM replacement for $110 from RockAuto. They also sell the fuel pump module for around $130. I'm figuring to fire up a carbed-engine, I can disconnect/remove the pump from the module and run it as a sender, then when the MPFI conversion happens then I can plug it back in. Thanks again for the input...
BATurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:41 AM   #8
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

for the mean time I would remove the pump and extend the pick up tube as the electric pump is hard to pull through.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:01 PM   #9
aboyer
Adam B

Thanks for the information. I would love to see some pictures when you receive in the tank.
aboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:13 AM   #10
Hoffa

First off, I think you are on the right track with the Tahoe tank.

I have done this twice on two different pickups. On the '68 with LT1 I used an ECE stainless tank with in tank factory GM pump. On the '70 with RAMJET I used the stock tank, modifyed the flange to accept a 5/8" pickup for a frame mounted pump, and used the stock pickup as a return.

The ECE tank worked well and the factory retrofit worked OK. I also have to keep the factory tank 1/4 full or take it easy on the corners. The toughest part of the factory retrofit is twisting it down throught the small stock flange hole.

The other thing is the in noise of the fuel pump is more appearent with the stock tank setup.
68 Chev SWB 2WD w/'95 LT1, 6spd, 4:56, 17" whls - family owned since 1973.
70 GMC LWB 4WD w/RAMJET 350, 4spd, 4inch lift, 33" tires, Warn Winch
72 Chev Blazer CST, 350, TH350, 4WD, factory A/C, tilt, radio delete, 77K miles, orig. paint/interior
Hoffa is offline   Reply With Quote