The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
Reefmonster

911!! Need Drive shaft help!!!!

Have a 67 LWB, replacing the bearing that holds the 2 piece driveshaft up, I cannot break the bolt loose holding the yolk onto she shaft, is it reverse threaded or Am I just gonna have to find someone with a impact wrench to get it off??? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Reefmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:04 PM   #2
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Re: 911!! Need Drive shaft help!!!!

I had to rattle the hell out of mine to get it otu and be sure to nver seize it when you put it back together

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:27 PM   #3
kevmic28

I had to use my impact to get it off. Plus some PB Blaster.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:48 AM   #4
Ironangel

I soaked mine with Kroil over night and a few taps on the wrench the next morning and she freed right up. Its a RH thread NF 1/2" bolt. Soak it, the splines and the old bearing and let the penetrant do its thing overnight because the hard part is getting that bearing off the splines. Alot of guys take them to a machine shop to pull them off and press the new bearing on. In my case, I chucked the shaft in a vise and used a punch to drive the old bearing off and the 1/2" bolt w/washer presses the yoke and bearing back on when its tightened.
Attached Images

71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:56 PM   #5
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironangel View Post
I soaked mine with Kroil over night and a few taps on the wrench the next morning and she freed right up. Its a RH thread NF 1/2" bolt. Soak it, the splines and the old bearing and let the penetrant do its thing overnight because the hard part is getting that bearing off the splines. Alot of guys take them to a machine shop to pull them off and press the new bearing on. In my case, I chucked the shaft in a vise and used a punch to drive the old bearing off and the 1/2" bolt w/washer presses the yoke and bearing back on when its tightened.
please never put a driveshaft in a vice, i make alot of money off of people who crush, bend, and mangle their driveshafts in vices. also you may want to add some bracing to the carrier bearing base.

if i were forced to take a carrier bearing off at home id cut it off with a cutoff wheel in a die grinder or angle grinder to prevent the effects of the sometimes extreme forces needed to remove pieces pressed together 40+ years ago.

be sure to put the yoke back on the same way it was originally, or it will vibrate. good quality ujoints are a good investment while you have it apart. i recommend spicer or neapco... precision is not a quality ujoint.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:11 PM   #6
OilDrum68

I just had to do this same procedure this past weekend. I found that the rubber support around the bearing is flexible, and you should be able to 'roll' it off the bearing, leaving the bearing on the shaft by itself.

Now the bearing is exposed enough to use a standard jaw puller on it... I used a 3-jaw puller and it popped it right off.

Judging by what others had to go through to get the pieces apart, I must have gotten lucky... I held the yoke with a pair of channel-locks and used a ratchet on the center bolt, and it came out with a little coaxing.

1968 Chevy C-20 CST LWB Fleetside
OilDrum68 is offline   Reply With Quote