The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2010, 02:41 PM   #26
heavy chevy c

Re: flowmasters

I currently have long tube headers , 2/12 pipes and thrush chambered mufflers. They have to much pop like a glass pack when you get above 2500 rpm . Thats why I want to change mufflers.
heavy chevy c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:05 PM   #27
Southcity

Re: flowmasters

Another thing to consider along with all the info provided by the other members is:
1. How the exhaust system is attached (hung under the frame) on your ride. There are many different brackets designed to hang an exhaust system, many shops will use the common metal L shaped bracket and a high temp rubber grommet/bushing between it and the frame, these type of brackets are not very good at insulating sound and vibration inside the cab, they are very rigid....some may like this others may not.
2. If you want less interior vibration and noise regardless of which muffler you decide to go with, use an exhaust/muffler bracket system that will help insulate noise and vibration for the inside of your ride, you will enjoy your new exhaust system that much more. You do not have to spend big money here (though you can) but something like the J-hooks with a rubber block work well or the standard multi-position rubber brackets (picture of one style below) are fairly in-expensive.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2010, 03:09 PM   #28
dmnall

Talking Re: flowmasters

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ss&99ss View Post
Agreed, the 80 series cross flow muffler for an F-body is junk, but a normal single in/single out muffler does flow better.
But this is the memory on why I hate flowmasters is the simple fact that Magnaflow, Hooker, Dynomax, Corsa, Borla *sounded a little too ricey for my tastes on an ls1 f-body*, and slp.. Their single in/single out might flow but how much compared to others though is the real question.. The only thing Flowmasters has is the ' Sound ' of performance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTx68 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. The application on an f-body is way different. I had an LT1 equipped Z28 with Hooker Catback. Loved it! I never even considered flowmasters.
Which is why when I do exhaust on any car or truck, I want it to sound good as well as give me a sotp feel of performance.. Which when I had my z28, the Dynomax Bullet with a custom Y out back, woke up the 2.73 A4 car to the point, that with stock hard to break the rear end loose except in gravel or loose dirt, to where I had to ease into the throttle for a launch otherwise no traction... Mileage increased as well as my hearing decreased *too much drone* but for an auto it was a fun car.. I did not want the drone when I traded the car in for the 05 Yellow GTO M6 I had... Which was the reason I was going to put a corsa on it as well as a pedders street kit....

Cheers,
Charlie
2008 Honda Civic Si *lease*
dmnall is offline   Reply With Quote