The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2010, 11:57 PM   #1
60apache

1960 disc conversion your opinion

I have a 1960 and want to do a 5 lug disc conversion. in your opinion would you swap to a later model crossmember or do an aftermarket conversion with drop spindles and leave the torsions?
60apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:24 AM   #2
chevytrucknut61

Re: 1960 disc conversion your opinion

I had rebuilt my front end already so I went with a Early classic dropped kit. If your front end is needing rebuilt I would not spend the money, instead I'd try a crossmember swap. That is just a couple of way to do this. Also was told to keep truck brakes on a truck not to install car brakes on it.

Later Ben
chevytrucknut61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:31 AM   #3
60apache

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevytrucknut61 View Post
I had rebuilt my front end already so I went with a Early classic dropped kit. If your front end is needing rebuilt I would not spend the money, instead I'd try a crossmember swap. That is just a couple of way to do this. Also was told to keep truck brakes on a truck not to install car brakes on it.

Later Ben
are you referring to the aftermarket conversions as car brakes?
60apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:50 AM   #4
chevytrucknut61

Some places offer a kit that will let you use car rotors on stock spindles. I replaced the spindle with a 2 1/2 in. drop. It went on my original ball joints.Cost me 1200.00 but I got booster, master cyclinder and poporioning ( sp) valve every thing needed for installing power disc brakes
Old 03-06-2010, 02:08 AM   #5
Corts60
Just here to tinker

I say keep the torsions. It is a great ride, it is already on there and you can still get drop spindles for it. Why do extra work for nothing? None of these trucks are going to handle like a porche so just stick with what works.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:49 AM   #6
chevytrucknut61

Don't forget power steering. Makes a world of difference!
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2010, 09:47 AM   #7
fleetsidelarry
Senior Car Nut

Talking Re: 1960 disc conversion your opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60apache View Post
I have a 1960 and want to do a 5 lug disc conversion. in your opinion would you swap to a later model crossmember or do an aftermarket conversion with drop spindles and leave the torsions?
My personal plan on my '61 panel is to do the spindles, which are available stock height or dropped. This way I can have 5 (or 6) lug AND power disc brakes (one of the best upgrades you can do, not counting a 454)

As I understand it, the drawbacks to the T-bar setup are the expensive ball joints and the wheel bearings. Also, the amount of drop available, if you plan to slam, is limited. You can get pretty low but you start to run into issues with the T-bar bolts.

Spindles are available (for around $200) that use TRUCK components which are available at retail parts suppliers or your local wrecking yard or parts truck. This takes care of any issues with the wheel bearings.

As mentioned in the previous post, think about the power steering upgrade!

Also, as CORT said, T-bars ride great, back in the old days (my day ) people thought that the change to coils in later years was a step backwards.

If you haven't made a decision on the rear yet (I read your other post), you might want to find a later model donor and swap front and rear, might be more cost effective.

Last edited by fleetsidelarry; 03-06-2010 at 10:06 AM. Reason: added the note about the rear axle
fleetsidelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:17 PM   #8
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

The torsion bar setup along with the early frame was over engineered, much stronger and more expensive than the later design. I imagine the new design in 63 was a substantial cost savings. If the cost of replacing the obsolete parts isn't an issue there's nothing wrong with the T-Bar setup, unless as noted above you want to drop the stance.

I swapped a 75 coil suspension in my 60 GMC because I also wanted 5 lug wheels, but primarily due to the cost of constantly replacing the inferior ball bearings now available at outrageous prices. Years later I read a thread somewhere explaining you can swap in 62-63? spindles which have roller bearings, keeping the torsion bar setup but getting rid of the ball bearings. Had I known this at the time I may have kept the stock suspension.

I picked up the front half of a donor truck for $75, and everything essentially bolted in. If you want to swap the rear end as well it might be even cheaper to buy a complete truck for parts. Another plus of the swap is suspension and steering parts are really cheap for the later components, and the disc brakes are an added bonus. The swap isn't that difficult and could probably be accomplished in a weekend. Should you want to go that way here's a link that shows the details:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=366850
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote