The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
Baby John

Another Manifold Question

Been searching the net again for Ram Horn Manifolds. Found the same old parts dealers that I found before so I don't think that's going to change any time soon. But...now I have some questions about headers vs. manifolds, and even the shapes and designs of the ram horns.

First, I know that our trucks had ram horns that angled backwards. But there is an aftermarket ram horn manifold that looks much better to me than our factory manifolds, but...it does not angle backwards. I'm wondering if it'll work. I also found a couple different types of headers. One called "tight fit" and one called "block huggers". What is the difference?

I'm not sure why but I don't like the long tube headers. So I'm narrowing my search to either stock manifolds that angle backwards, or these aftermarket rams horns that dump straight down (if they will work) or possibly some block hugger styler headres, or "tight fit" if there's a difference.

Can you experts give me some comparison between the models and maybe lead me in the right direction?

Here's a picture of the aftermarket ram horns that I like and the block hugger headers that I also like. I think they're about the same price.
Attached Images

My son and I are resto-rodding a '72 GMC Stepside
Baby John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
72K20
Slow Old Timer

Re: Another Manifold Question

I prefer the Rams Horn! Those look sharp, what vendor, web site, price, etc?
72K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
Baby John

Re: Another Manifold Question

The place is called speedway motors.

They also sell stainless ones and also polished stainless.

These cast iron units are $299. The stainless are $399 and the polished stainless are $499.

Here's a link. If it doesnt' go directly to the 2nd page of their "headers and exhaust section" you can navigate around pretty easily and find them. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Classi...irst_answer=17

I noticed they also sell a chrome louvered exhaust cover for the ram horns. Not sure why you'd buy the ram horns and then cover them up, but they do look pretty cool to me.

My son and I are resto-rodding a '72 GMC Stepside

Last edited by Baby John; 03-10-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Baby John is offline   Reply With Quote