The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2010, 02:39 AM   #1
ShredSled

Prospective new buyer in Ortonville, MI!

Hey all, how's life? My name is Dave and I'm from a small town in Michigan.
Have always had an eye for the 67-72 C10 trucks, but unfortunately for me, never owned one, YET!

Yeah, so I'm currently looking at picking up a 67-72 C10, either short bed or step side.

I've had my eye on a '67, but the seller will not reply to my calls. hmmm...
He's asking about $5k, but I'm going to shoot lower... can't say what for sure without seeing in person though, we'll see.

Anyway, I've got to ask, are there any areas or things in particular I should be sure to check out or scope out?

This '67 I'm looking to purchase apparantly has a 350 crate motor swapped, and a turbo 400. Other than that I cannot get too many details yet.

Not sure if it has discs or power steering or what... I'm trying to do my research, but do not yet know these platforms like the back of my hand, by any means!

Oh, and I'm also curious about relocating the fuel tank, anyone have a good thread link or read I can check out?

I'd love to lower it static, but retain a fairly decent ride. Looking at the CPP front and rear tubular set-up, which I read about in a magazine article with a white C10, looked GREAT, and pretty straight forward install it seemed too.
Aaaaand, maybe some 15" Cragar 500g's or smoothies and wide white-walls...
we'll see, that's all just dreams right now as I don't even have the truck yet!!!

So again, please let me know if there are things I should be sure to check into when scoping out prospective C10 buys!

Thanks a lot, any and all tips and info is much appreciated!
ShredSled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:37 AM   #2
oldiron
Designated Grumpy Old Man

Re: Prospective new buyer in Ortonville, MI!

Welcome to the board. There is a wealth of information here.
I'm going to move your post to the 67-72 forum where you will get more of your questions answered.
oldiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:06 AM   #3
ShredSled

oh ok, thanks a lot!
Old 03-11-2010, 06:45 AM   #4
Keith Seymore

Welcome!

We used to live on Jossman Rd (just north of Groveland) before we moved to the big city of Troy....

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:58 AM   #5
JimKshortstep4x4

Welcome from West Michigan!

This is a good place to learn about these trucks. I would suggest not being in a hurry to buy your first truck until after you have been on board for a little time.

Jim
1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #6
ShredSled

Thanks for the welcomes guys!

Keith, I'm more on the east side of Ortonville, closer to Oxford, but I know what roads you are talking about. Was just over at REI down in Troy (or is that considered Roch. hills still?) last week.

And hey over there in Muskegon! Don't make it there too often, but might try to plan another trip to Mears/Silver Lake this summer!

Well, anyway, I usually try not to hurry into impulse buys! But, I also don't want to let something good slip through my hands either!
I just got a voice-mail today from the guy selling the '67. It's still available. So, I might try to go look at it this weekend if I get a chance, but, apparantly it'll be rainy from what the forecast says, so probably no test-drive... hmmm... That'll put a damper on my ease of decision too.

Anyone else have any other tips on what to check out?
Maybe I should mention, I'm not looking to really have a show quality numbers matching original vehicle, more just a solid one that I could safely drive to more than just a local car show! Also, susp. will more than likely be replaced with static drop parts...
Hoping this guy knew his stuff when he did the motor and trans swap, and that the rear-end isn't blown out from the extra motor too...
Old 03-11-2010, 03:12 PM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Take a piece of cardboard or carpet to lay on and a good flashlight so you can check out the inner rocker panels and cab supports under the truck. Check under the battery for rust in the core support and inner fender panel and check above the windshield inside & out for bubbles in the paint or rust pinholes. Any rust you see, figure it will be twice as bad once you get the area sanded or blasted. Other areas are inside the cab along the sill plates, where the floor meets the kick panels and the kick panels around the fresh air vents.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 03-11-2010 at 03:14 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #8
ShredSled

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
Take a piece of cardboard or carpet to lay on and a good flashlight so you can check out the inner rocker panels and cab supports under the truck. Check under the battery for rust in the core support and inner fender panel and check above the windshield inside & out for bubbles in the paint or rust pinholes. Any rust you see, figure it will be twice as bad once you get the area sanded or blasted. Other areas are inside the cab along the sill plates, where the floor meets the kick panels and the kick panels around the fresh air vents.

LockDoc

Thanks a lot, I'll be sure to check those areas. Already have the flashlight in the truck!
These are the tips I'm looking for!
oh, and I also like your sig. line, funny stuff!

I'm also kind of wondering, I know '67 was the first year for a model change, so are there any options or anything I should look for on it?
Any things that are more preferred on the later years of this model?
Old 03-11-2010, 04:36 PM   #9
lks dcvn

Here is one in my area - don't need it or I would go check it out.

I don't know anything about it - other than he posts it once a day [for the last 3 days] - he must really want to sell it - or doesn't know how CL works...

http://toledo.craigslist.org/cto/1637937161.html
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:29 PM   #10
leddzepp

Look at all the low points for rust.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
RIP FleetsidePaul
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:10 PM   #11
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredSled View Post
Thanks a lot, I'll be sure to check those areas. Already have the flashlight in the truck!
These are the tips I'm looking for!
oh, and I also like your sig. line, funny stuff!

I'm also kind of wondering, I know '67 was the first year for a model change, so are there any options or anything I should look for on it?
Any things that are more preferred on the later years of this model?
Not many comfort options on the 67's. Deluxe heater, Air conditioning & power steering. Some of the later stuff would be tilt wheel, tach, shoulder seat belts, headliner, big block engine, Cruise control, and some other stuff I can't think of right now....

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:20 PM   #12
ShredSled

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Not many comfort options on the 67's. Deluxe heater, Air conditioning & power steering. Some of the later stuff would be tilt wheel, tach, shoulder seat belts, headliner, big block engine, Cruise control, and some other stuff I can't think of right now....
again, thanks for the help, much obliged my friend!

hmmm, power steering, huh? Is it worth it to search for a truck with the factory power steering, or should I just plan on doing an upgrade from the get-go anyway?

Also, were front discs an option in '67? I'm already looking into one of those CPP front spindle kits with the disc brake upgrade kit, so I guess maybe that's a moot point.

Tilt wheel would be very nice though.
And also the shoulder seat-belts, since like I said, I would like to spend a lot of time driving this truck, not just 2 miles down the road once a week to a car show. How hard would it be to retrofit some shoulder belts??

I could live without the other stuff though.

oh, and lks dcvn, thanks for the link. Nice truck there, looks like a little bit of rot. I may look into it further if this more local one does not pan out. Toledo really isn't too far from here.

Still haven't spoken to this guy in person though, we just keep trading messages!!