The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
Spudman

1977 Bonanza Questions

Guys:

Am new to the site...awesome by the way!
Purchased a 1977 Chevy Bonanza from Arkansas (used to work there). The maintenance department was having an auction and I won the truck for $85.00. Yes, $85. That is correct!
Anyhow, had to buy a battery, windshield, plugs & wires, 2 new tires and a heater core. Oil wasn't changed since 2006...was like molasses. Then, drove it to Maine (34 hours, $500 in gas--10MPG). Didn't know at the time, but the carburetor is screwed up. I welded the idler bracket back on the cast housing...and it got me here! Have a few questions, hoping that ya'll can help or guide me in the right direction. As of right now, I have about $800 into it... Gave it to my Dad for a birthday present...

Engine is a Chevy 350

1) Need to replace the carb with a 600 CFM Edelbrock Electric Choke (#1406). What additional parts do I need? I am good with "fixing" engines, but don't have enough knowledge about them...

2) The paint job and interior seems to be custom. I have the original spec sheet that I found in the glove box. I am wanting to replace the seat (foam and vinyl are shot), as well as fix body panels, trim, etc and repaint the same color. Everywhere I look, I cannot find the "seafoam green" color that is listed anywhere. Anyone have ideas as to the avenue that I need to go? Who to contact? Upholstery guys? Don't mind spending the $$ if I can get an exact repro...

That's my Dad in the last pic...with my nephew.

Thanks a lot for your help...

Paul
Attached Images

Last edited by Spudman; 03-07-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Spudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:22 AM   #2
turbo350

Re: 1977 Bonanza Questions

Getting a truck for $85 and then driving it 34 hours, wow! That long drive was a good test run. If something was going to break most likely it would have done it then.

What is the goal for this truck? Restore as a stock truck or mod it for performance?

As for the carb, whats on it now? If it survived a 34 hour drive chances are it may just need a little tweaking rather than a total replacement. You could just buy a carb rebuild kit and diy, they aren't that hard, there is tons of info on the 'net to help you. This would allow you to keep driving it and as time and money come in you can upgrade to a more powerful engine if you want.

As for the interior and body items you asked about you can find much of what you need for sale at places like LMC or others. Sometimes stuff pops up for sale here that you may want. This site has a section for everything full of knowledge and wisdom to help you out. Take some time and read and search through older threads you are likely to find almost exact answers to whatever questions you may have. Sounds like you have big plans for this truck. Just focus and take one thing at a time otherwise things can get a little overwhelming.

As for the seafoam green paint I do believe that was a factory color although I have not seen it on very many trucks.

Good luck with your truck?

Last edited by turbo350; 03-07-2010 at 11:25 AM.
turbo350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:36 AM   #3
Spudman

Turbo...It's a Rochester QuadraJet I believe...and I've had 4 mechanics adjust every screw, throttle and choke that is on it. They've gotten the gas mileage up to about 11-12 or so, but they had to mickey mouse it. They have the butterfly held open with a banana clip (the black ones you use to hold paper together) and in order to start it, you have to hold the gas pedal down and turn the key...then sit and rev engine for about 20 mins until the sputtering stops. Meanwhile, the entire yard is filled up with smoke from the exhaust! Cool in a way, but not ideal!

So, am I correct in getting the Edlebrock 600 CFM electric choke? Do I need spacer plate, adaptor plate, different metering rods, etc?

Stock truck is fine...don't want to soup it up that much...just restore.

Seafoam green items are DIFFICULT to find, I've called about 100 salvage yards so far, and (2) Chevy restoration upholstery shops in Tx, and they don't have any record of the green existing. Weird...
Spudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
turbo350

The Edelbrock would work if your set on that particular one. You shouldn't need anything special to bolt it on. Don't discount the Quadrajet its a good carb to. You may be able to find a good used one and just bolt it on. If you got your mileage up to 11-12 mpg thats getting pretty close to the upper end of mileage in these trucks.

I know I've seen that shade of green before on these trucks. My old boss had a '77 3/4 ton that had it.
turbo350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
streetstar

11-12 mpg is not too bad for a 350/350 combo. LMC truck should be able to fix you up with most things

My home town favorite is http://classicchevroletparts.com/ . Between these 2 , you should have the bases covered. If you are looking to replace large body panels like the fenders, etc. --- it might pay off to ask a few body shops where they get their stuff locally, it could save a bunch on shipping for big items

I have very recently starting paying a bit of attention to my '75 Cheyenne as well, so i am a bit cranked up looking through online web sites and things as well --- have fun!!

Nonsense! I'm in my prime
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:53 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

id go with CaptKaos for the seat covers the foam im not sure if he does or not but there was a thread recently with issues with the fitment of the foam from LMC
that green ive seen on other gm vehicles basically like pontiac catalinas and all

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:10 PM   #7
USSkoval

I believe the issue is the light green interior? Yes, it was available but very hard to find now. I think if you keep searching, you will find a few new pieces in that color, and eventually good used items to replace your damaged originals. Or switch to a different interior color.
USSkoval is offline   Reply With Quote