The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2010, 02:15 AM   #26
leegrady

Re: Help I cant Stop!!

Hydroboost can be used on your truck if low manifold vacuum condition exist, because of a high-perf. cam the vacuum booster for the braking systems wont be worth a damn.

This is also why you find hydroboosts on diesels.

Hydroboosters also save space in the engine compartment for bigger engines to be shoe horned in. (Like the twin engine sbc '71 Nova I'm working on.)

Key to our want/need to upgrade: because the hydroboost system does not run on vacuum the brakes will be given the same amount of pressure from the second you step on the pedal to the moment you lift them off. In this respect the hydroboost system is superior to vacuum boost. (However, as with most everything the trade off is that the hydroboost uses horsepower to operate.) But...a hydroboost system does not clamp the calipers or shoes against the drums with any more force than the vacuum boost system.

Clamping force is dictated by the size of the master cylinder piston, the size of the caliper piston, wheel cylinder pistons, and on disc brakes how far from the center line of the axle the caliper is located. Larger diameter rotors move the caliper farther away from the center line, and this in turn produces more leverage to stop the vehicle. (Just like your cheater bar.)

If you want your truck to stop better, all things being equal, four wheel disc brakes by all means, larger diameter vented/drilled rotors, and multiple piston calipers.

I race a lot. Most can't catch me. I brake late into the turns. And remember...Always roll the pedal.
leegrady is offline   Reply With Quote