The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2003, 09:09 AM   #1
rockman20
"The dude abides"

Leaky Truck

Who was it on here that had a problem with water leaking into their truck?

I had the same problem and you could see that it was seeping in from somewhere back behind the kick plate on the passenger side.

Reading on the board here, I decided to check for leaves and such as suggested. I tore the grill and everything off the cowel and found it to be clean as a whistle with no cracks or anything. So I tore the kick panel off and had someone spray water into the cowel.

I have to say that Chevy has a poor design here. The water that enters the cowel goes to the passenger side and then drops off the edge and into the front fender. The only thing keeping the water out of the truck is a crappy little gasket around the vent on the kick panel.

I took some of that culk on a roll stuff and made a new gasket, put it up there, and it stopped leaking. However, that panel has a vacuum door on it that I believe is the door for the recirculation for the A/C. Well it is raining here today and I did have my A/C on to try to get the moisture out of the air in the truck. Damn water makes its way into the truck with that damn door open.

What a poor design. Does anyone have any bright ideas on how to keep the water out but keep the functionality of the vent?

1993 Chevy Silverado C3500 1 ton dually
1994 Honda Civic
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass S
1953 IH Farmall Super M
New to the fleet:
1992 Subaru Loyal
rockman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 11:17 AM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

id get that rubber gasket stuff ya put on doors and make a gasket for the door and try to keep it closed when it rains

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote