The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
abilityonline

68 chevy c50 dies after running for an hour

My 68 chevy dump truck dies and won't start again when it heats up real well. I have to let it sit and cool off for about 40 minutes and it starts again. Here are some questions.

1. Could it be the fuel pump? Are there any electric fuel pumps I can swap out? I have the non electric pump currently in.

2. Ignition coil.

3. Vapor Lock

Curious if any of the experts out there can give me a heads up and point me in the right direction.

It has new spark plugs, distributor, carb is clean.
abilityonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
PowerPro

Re: 68 chevy c50 dies after running for an hour

I had a similar issue on my 472. the fuel line was too close to the exhaust and it was heating up the fuel in the line to the vapor point. I know, this is a red-neck fix, but... it worked. I wrapped the fuel line near the exhaust with aluminum foil in several layers. I also wrapped the line coming from the mech fuel pump up to the carb. No more issues!!!

The way i figured it out was that I felt my fuel lines and they were overly hot to the touch. I also saw inside my glass fuel filter that it looked like it was almost boiling the fuel off in there - maybe the pressure differential in the fuel filter allowed it to boil off or something. It was a sight to see, that's for sure. I'm betting if i put the fuel filter prior to the pump that would work to fix the issue too... sorry, i'm rambling. I learn a lot from other people's situations and try to apply it to my own. Thanks for dealing with my rambling.

On an old Rx-7 i had, when the ignition coil got hot, it would do that... When cold, the wires inside would touch, but a wire was cracked and separated when warm... 12 dollar part.

there's 2 things to check, i guess.

07 Yamaha 650 V-Star Custom

83 Honda V-45 Magna

Last edited by PowerPro; 03-15-2010 at 01:00 PM.
PowerPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
cdowns

have you tried taking off the gas cap when this happens? if theres a big woosh of air when removing cap you'vs got the wrong cap

mechanical fuel pumps are far more reliable cheaper and trouble free than electrical ones they also have a lot longer lifespan

as mentioned hot fuellines can easily b the problem // especially those "lazy man" rubber firestarter ones laying on hot enginges an flappin in the breeze of the rad fan
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
Shaky
Six in a row makes it go...

Does it have HEI? I've had them die from heat soak before and then start again when they cool down.
“The height of sophistication is simplicity." - Clare Boothe Luce
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:00 PM   #5
hoodup

I have this same prob on my 68 SWB 4x4, when is warm and after running....most of the time I have to crack the key 3 or 4 times before it starts again. And I also get tons of air and in some cases fuel spray when i remove my gas cap!!! Whats the deal with this? Im also running an HEI

Last edited by hoodup; 03-15-2010 at 03:01 PM. Reason: forgot to add key points
hoodup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
abilityonline

Guys thanks for all the reply's. I think it is the gas line getting too hot. This sounds dumb but I put a plastic tie around the fuel line and used it to keep my rad hose away from the rad fan because it kept getting clipped by the fan. (I swaped my rad for a F350 rad and had to run some crazy hoses to make the swap fit.) The rad hose would heat and the platic tie would transfer heat to the fuel line. I'm going to try the foil around the fuel line. This truck isn't a beauty like many of yours but it has two huge rams and dumps over 7 tons like it was nothing. I'm thinking the foil 'red neck' fix will be the trick. I'll keep you posted.
abilityonline is offline   Reply With Quote