The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2010, 02:15 AM   #1
NONHOG

Bunch of questions (AD panel)

1st question......... alternate fuel tank for a panel ? seem to me I've heard of
using AD truck tank mounted below ? I'm wondering about this one ?
price is right !...............http://raybuck.com/i-66629-1973-81-c...ank-20gal.html

Never heard of raybuck ?

2nd question..........thinking about how much I want to drive my panel what
other brakes will fit (few mods o.k) besides fifty something non huck.
I'm thinking cheap but better and of course cheap ! Somebody on the HAMB
said something about using big car brakes from the sixties ? I think that was just about the front. Drums are o.k. for now.

3rd question.......... Is the panel frame different from the truck ?
Reason I ask is I wouldn't mind getting a truck frame and starting my upgrades on that. While the panel is still in use as I just read here on another thread.

O.K. I am done, answer any or all, thanks in advance !
Old 03-14-2010, 02:40 AM   #2
Steve@OldSub.com
Cancer Survivor in the making.

Re: Bunch of questions (AD panel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONHOG View Post
1st question......... alternate fuel tank for a panel?
I don't have an answer for this one.

Quote:
2nd question.......... ..what other brakes will fit
The cost differential between going with a disk conversion and later drum brakes for the front may not be enough of a savings to make it worth the trouble.

The kits minus rotors and calipers are not very expensive and when I bought new rotors and rebuilt calipers I was surprised at how cheap they were.

The 70's mid size GM rotors on the front and drums on the back of my Suburban stop it quite well.

The rear drums used once the switch to Bendix brakes was done were used for many years and aside from converting Huck to Bendix I don't think there is much to gain on the rear.

Quote:
3rd question.......... Is the panel frame different from the truck ?
The frame no. The body mounts yes.

The frame used under a 1/2-ton panel is exactly the same as the one used under a 1/2-ton pickup. Since Chevy and GMC use a different front crossmember you want to be sure the frame is the same brand as your panel, so look for a GMC frame.

The panel and Suburban have several brackets that mount the body that are riveted (I think) to the frame using holes I believe are in pickup frames also. You would either need to plan to remove those brackets from your existing frame, find a panel or Suburban frame, or find a set of those mounts laying around in someone's shop.

Steve@OldSub.com
OldSub.com . MaxwellGarage.com . OldGasTowRigs.com
Steve@OldSub.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
NONHOG

Awesome ! Thanks Steve !
Good food for thought. Planning ahead.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:47 PM   #4
mr48chev

I don't think there is room under and AD truck or Panel to stick one of those tanks. Before you go and spend money on a new tank like that I'd suggest seeing if you can find a used one off a mid 70's truck that you can beg, borrow or buy real cheap to use to figure out how to mount the tank and if it will fit. I think I got rid of all of those I had years ago during a move. They are also either a left tank or a right tank or at least the original ones are.

I've got a 17 Gal 79 Blazer tank that I think I am going to replace the 20 gallon aluminum tank as I think it will hang down about three or four inches less than the tank I have now. That has to go behind the axle though.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:23 PM   #5
NONHOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I don't think there is room under and AD truck or Panel to stick one of those tanks. Before you go and spend money on a new tank like that I'd suggest seeing if you can find a used one off a mid 70's truck that you can beg, borrow or buy real cheap to use to figure out how to mount the tank and if it will fit. I think I got rid of all of those I had years ago during a move. They are also either a left tank or a right tank or at least the original ones are.

I've got a 17 Gal 79 Blazer tank that I think I am going to replace the 20 gallon aluminum tank as I think it will hang down about three or four inches less than the tank I have now. That has to go behind the axle though.
Good point 80$ is cheap but worthless if it wont fit. Heck I need to drop mine and see maybe its decent. Having gone through the acid wash cleaning and using a POR15 gas tank kit. I'd prefer to spend money on new.
The quotes Iv'e gotten to redo by radiator shops is over $200 no thanks!