The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
TINKERDUKE

Clipped 55- which headers?

Hi Folks, My search isn't working so figured a thread would give me the info i need I am installing a 79 camaro front subframe in my 55(2nd series)and wanted to know what the preferred header choice would be for this- its a vortec headed 350. I am leaning towards the patriot clipster or if anyone can recommend some decent longtube headers.

Thanks, Steve.
TINKERDUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
chevyrestoguy

Re: Clipped 55- which headers?

Steve-
70-81 Camaro headers will fit, and I've seen 68-72 Nova headers work as well. The Patriot clipsters will make it easy when it comes time to get the exhaust plumbed. The full length headers can sometimes be a problem if you run an aftermarket pedal and master cylinder assembly. The aftermarket set-ups usually move everything slightly to the center of the vehicle because the master cylinders are much larger than stock and can't tuck that tightly to the frame rail. What happens is than the header collector usually winds up really close to the master cylinder and it makes it a pain to plumb the brakelines. I'm running a 3" exhaust, and it's going to be a real challenge to route the pipes and still have space between the transmission and the master cylinder. You don't want to cook the master cylinder or the adjacent brake lines.

Go with the Clipsters unless you're putting out some serious horsepower.
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
cobra!tx

I had camaro hooker super comps on my 56 and went to the clipster header and it fits alot nicer the super comps ,they hung to low for my truck(its real low anyway)and hit everything-the clipsters are alot tighter to the chassis and i had plenty of room to run 2 1/2 pipe I bought the coated headers and they look great and installed real easy-I would recommend them over camaro headers -

Last edited by cobra!tx; 03-19-2010 at 02:39 PM.
cobra!tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #4
TINKERDUKE

Thanks for your replys. Looks like the clipsters are the way to go. I want to go for the coated versions, so i better get saving!
TINKERDUKE is offline   Reply With Quote