The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2003, 07:05 AM   #1
Mike76251

Post How Tough are Our Trucks....

Here is why you shouldn't drive a ricer....
A couple of years ago I was sitting in a stopped line of traffic at a light.
It was dark and misting rain.
I had a Pepsi in my hand when the weirdest thing happened.
The can just exploded.
It sprayed all its contents on the dash.

Now...what would make that happen?

It turned out that a Lincoin Navigator monster SUV had slammed into the rear of the car behind me going full speed.
That car then smashed into my bumper.

That Lincoin hit the car behind me so hard that it drove the class 5 hitch on my truck between the front seats of the car behind me.
That meant that the hitch had to go through the engine and transmission of that little car.

The "thing" driving the SUV had not even applied her brakes.
She slammed us going 55-60mph.

There were four kids in the little Chevy Caviler (sp) but they made it okay. How.....I don't know.

The only damage to my truck was two bent rear bumper brackets that were fixed in ten minutes.

My front bumper wiped out the rear of a late model Grand Am and came through without a scratch.

The final toll was two totaled vehicles behind me,
And a totaled vehicle in front of me. My truck was fine.

I am just glad that no one was killed.

I gotta say this......those are some tough trucks.
Mike
Mike76251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 07:20 AM   #2
Blue Beard

And the saying goes "Built F**D Tough"

No Comparison.........
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 08:04 AM   #3
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Everyone was very lucky.

"Like a rock" fits our trucks so well in that case for sure.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 09:36 AM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i had the same kind of thng happen to me with my old F 250 it destroyed the car that hit me from behind and all it did was bend the bumper brackets. Because the kid was a little wiseass though i made sure i screwed his daddy for over fifteen hundred in cash so i wouldnt report it to the insurance company. My current C10 im sure is just as tough if not tougher i mean after all this was made back in the days where metal was king and plastic was used strictly for door panels lol if at all

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 10:26 AM   #5
Mike76251

Rusty,
See how raising your kids right saves you money?
I don't blame U a bit.
Mike76251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 10:35 PM   #6
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

I've never owned a car and don't plan too.
If it was a Navigator I would have given that B@##$% a word or two.
Old 04-27-2003, 12:37 AM   #7
apstguy
LED King

My dad owned my truck before me and he was in a bad crash with it. An old man in his lawn mowing business truck+trailer pulled in front of him. It was a little nissan pickup and it didn't survive. My dad slammed into the bed of the nissan & spun it around like a top. Threw the lawn mowers and other equipment everywhere (one mower landed 80 feet from the accident!!!) It spilt gas everywhere. Hit at about 40-45mph. Most of the force was taken by the front bumper and core support. Engine was left undamaged! All we had to do is buy a front clip, bumper, radiator, motor mount, & had it painted & was on his way. It DID bend the frame a tad but was easy to take out. The charcoal canister exploded leaving charcoal on everything (ick!).

1985 C10 305 w/ Bowtie OD TH700R4 3.42 LSD 202,000 miles
2006 Ford Focus ZX3 5-speed Stick
2016 Chevy Spark EV
Gone: 2002.5 VW GTI 24v VR6
Gone: 2008 VW R32
apstguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 12:46 AM   #8
1969 GMC

My dad used to own a mid 70's GMC C2500, I guess when I was a baby I was riding in the truck with my mom and she stopped at a light. A *brand new* Crown Vic police interceptor rear ended the truck. After all was said and done, it scratched the paint on the bumper of the truck.The Crown Vic is a different story, the front was smashed frame bent radiator broke engine oil on the pavement the works. Car had less than a thousand miles on it, was just being picked up by the local PD. Another cop passed by, and wrote the one who hit the truck's citation. 3 cars came to the scene. i bet that guy never lived it down.
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 04:27 AM   #9
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

S-10s can be tough little trucks too. this one was dead stopped when i rear ended him doing about 40. i was young, and not paying attention. learn from your mistakes.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 09:39 PM   #10
mike reeh
5 day ban, learn to behave.

my first car in high school was a 84 subaru GL10 sedan.. my friend was following me in his (soon to be mine) 1977 K10 (the blue and white one, some of you may remember it) and he hit me hard at about 35-40mph, totalled the subaru, just had to replace the light bezel on the chevy.. it was really quite amazing. I have pics around here somewhere........

mike
mike reeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 10:25 PM   #11
lofat
Rollin' Member

this thread is like the story of me becoming a truck owner.

on 4/1 of this year i was coming home from work in my 97 civic and there is this one spot on the freeway where traffic always comes to a complete halt. well i stopped, but the Mercedes behind me didn't stop until impact.

well the poor civic is no more. i have to give it some credit for saving me - i mean dude was going about 55 mph.

i almost had driven my 73 new yorker that day - lucky for him i didn't.

i have always been a fan of older cars - but got the honda for my long commute. needless to say - the new yorker doesn't get the greatest gas milage.

so - the end result of this story is my 1977 chevy c-10 - which i just bought this weekend and i have to say i love it. i have never owned a truck before - just a lot of old....erm.... vintage cars and one new one, but i have always thought it would be cool to have a truck. visiting swervin's site and lurking around here for a few days convinced me.

by the way - my names scott, you'll prolly see me around more - ya'll got a cool site here.
lofat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 10:18 AM   #12
85 GMC

look here at my 84 chevy shhhhhhhhoooorten wheelbase and my son and i walked away
Attached Images

85 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 11:10 AM   #13
Gibble
mmmm....Rye and Coke

Quote:
Originally posted by 85 GMC
look here at my 84 chevy shhhhhhhhoooorten wheelbase and my son and i walked away
I hate it when I accidently drive into those car crushers...???

I mean seriously, wtf did you hit/hit you...a train?
Gibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 11:12 AM   #14
Gibble
mmmm....Rye and Coke

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Beard
And the saying goes "Built F**D Tough"

No Comparison.........
I think build ford tough applies to fords as well, my parents own an F150...and man, that thing can take beating.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:19 AM   #15
85 GMC

1985 fullsize chevy 4x4. he turned in front of me and froze in the middle of the road.
i was pulling a single car trailer back from my parents cabin 4 years ago memorial day. the trailer jacknifed and on impact sheared off. took the reese hitch and twisted it so it looked like an exhaust pipe sticking out he side.

we hit the A pillar on the guys truck at 55 miles an hour.

The best thing about it was my son told me 15 minutes before , to put my seatbelt on and i did. for that i ow him 2 lives.
He was 7 years old at the time.
he sufferd a broken jaw and facial cuts , had to have a plastic surgyn (sp) come in and fix him up. luckly he was in the center of the seat buckled up.I got some cuts and a couple copression fractures in my lowerback.

Last edited by 85 GMC; 05-09-2003 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:13 PM   #16
Gibble
mmmm....Rye and Coke

Quote:
Originally posted by 85 GMC
1985 fullsize chevy 4x4. he turned in front of me and froze in the middle of the road.
i was pulling a single car trailer back from my parents cabin 4 years ago memorial day. the trailer jacknifed and on impact sheared off. took the reese hitch and twisted it so it looked like an exhaust pipe sticking out he side.

we hit the A pillar on the guys truck at 55 miles an hour.

The best thing about it was my son told me 15 minutes before , to put my seatbelt on and i did. for that i ow him 2 lives.
He was 7 years old at the time.
he sufferd a broken jaw and facial cuts , had to have a plastic surgyn (sp) come in and fix him up. luckly he was in the center of the seat buckled up.I got some cuts and a couple copression fractures in my lowerback.
Wow...it's amazing how safe old vehicles really are, despite how much safer new cars are supposed to be. My uncle was hit by a loaded gravel truck in his old T-Bird, it pushed the steering wheel into the middle of the car, and amazingly he walked away with just some bruised ribs and some expected cuts and bruises.

Glad to hear your son told you to put on your belt, some times kids are the smartest people ... other times they are PITA

Gotta love em.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:17 PM   #17
PHOENIX

If you can walk away from a 55 mph crash, the vehicle is strong.
That is an amazing hit and for anyone who has ever witnessed an accident at those speeds its shocking.

My seat belt is uncomfortable in my truck so I dont wear it. I wear my seatbelt in any other vehicle but my truck. I bought different seat belts, but they are lap only. They may not be as good, but atleast they are better then not wearing anything. now I just need to install them . Im trying to get different seats with seatbelts attached (Tahoe). That would probly be my best bet.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:52 PM   #18
mike reeh

Since we're in the picture posting mood, here's the scenario:

me and my 77 K10, versus an oak tree at ~45mph. Unfortunately i didnt exactly walk away. The jaws of life had to be called in and I left on a stretcher. I will give it credit in that I am still here. The steering column design was what really did me in.. its very bad

mike
Old 05-10-2003, 07:23 AM   #19
85 GMC

Yep , on the steering column , dont know how i got out from behind the steering wheel.
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2003, 04:09 PM   #20
mike reeh

heres a pic of my column & interior...

the wheel/column broke my femur and now I have stainless steel rod inside my femur..

that whole saddle tank scandle was a waste.. if someone wanted to sue about something it should have been the steering column design. Much more of a safety issue than the saddle tanks, IMO.

mike