The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
60apache

changing lug pattern

I am currently putting an 81 front end under my truck and looking for wheels also I am not finding any wheels I like in any pattern other than 5 on 4 3/4 so what do I need to do to convert the front to 5 on 4 3/4
60apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:14 AM   #2
andyh1956

Re: changing lug pattern

hey- you are looking at chevy car wheel pattern wheels now. we went through the hub drilling stuff a few years back putting a scout dana 44 under a vega. not too big a deal on the rear cause you drill between the existing studs. but be aware that the hole in the axle that you get too the backing plate bolts must be filled & hub register must be turned to fit into rim center you will use. a lot of aftermarket wheels use studs to locate center so you could wind up with dedicated axle / rim combos. the fronts can be a mule of a different color. drilling no big deal HOWEVER there are limits as what material can be removed from the register area- this is a tappered HOLLOW area between the bearings & when reduced in size it can destroy the structual integrety of the hub. [ read crash into a carload of nuns] if i was the machinist you were handing the hubs to i wouldn't touch that job unless i was moving to another country that night that didn't have extradition treaties with the u.s. if it were me & i had to have 4.75" front hubs i would see what had to happen to get a mid 70s car spindle or even it's hub /rotor combo onto the suspension you are going to use. i'm sure this could be done with the propper combo of parts & maybe a tapered spacer or two for ball joints / tie rod ends. good luck & be sure to document the build!
andy
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:17 AM   #3
andyh1956

btw i live just up the road from you & when i get home on leave in junei'll check in on you.
andy
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
grancuda

You can get billet aluminium adaptors that are about 1" thick to convert the pattern. They are a safe way to go from one pattern to another and the big 3 use this type of set up but in cast steel for 1 ton trucks front hubs.
grancuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
60apache

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh1956 View Post
btw i live just up the road from you & when i get home on leave in junei'll check in on you.
andy
cool
60apache is offline   Reply With Quote